Cannot remove ESET Mobile Security (Android)

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by TravisO, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TravisO

TravisO Registered Member

I have been running an older version which I got in the Android Store (not from the ESET website), it's ver 1.0.189 to be exact.

When I randomly viewed the ESET website I noticed that it's a paid product now and when I checked the version it was obvious my copy was out of date. I tried to uninstall it via the normal Android method but that fails. So I just installed the new version hoping it would overwrite the old one.

Now I have two ESETs running at the same time on my phone.

PS: The old version does NOT have the "Uninstall" tab you see in the recent versions.

PPS: Yes I'm aware of the KB article on it, please see my comment above
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?pag...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1328032436825

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Without knowing exactly what Android phone you have and what version of Android is running, it's hard to give exact instructions but you will need to go into your Settings and Applications to force stop the program. Immediately then go into Managing Applications and uninstall Mobile Security from there.

From all I've read and know, if this fails you may need to reset your phone to factory defaults to remove ESET Mobile Security

3. foneil

foneil Eset Staff Account

Try the instructions below but as dwomack said, every phone/OS combination is different.
    1. Tap Menu Settings Security.
    2. Tap Select device administrators.
    3. Tap the check mark next to ESET Security. and then tap Activate.
    4. Go to Home screen. SettingsApplicationsManage Applications.
    5. Tap ESET Security and then tap the Uninstall button.

4. Bear207

Bear207 Registered Member

I eventually figured out that removing the check in Administrator for ESET allowed me to finally remove the offending ESET Mobile software.

It simply amazes me that a company I have respected, recommended and for which I own many licenses for desktop antivirus for many years has fumbled so badly with this latest action.

My impression at the ESET website is that Mobile Security is a sideline product and not being given serious effort. Additionally, after the recent fiasco on Android devices, ESET has made little to no effort to keep users informed in my opinion.

Finding "official ESET" information regarding the ESET Mobile Security problems has been painfully difficult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.