Cannot install Personal Edition 10.0 (BSOD)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kskreider, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kskreider

kskreider Registered Member

I am apparently unable to install the PE 10.0 that I received through a promotion.

I thought that it was that I had a bad installation file but I was able to get to it install fine on my laptop with the same OS (WINXPSP3)

I can replicate and write down the MS stop number if that helps. I did a live chat with support and they told me that it was my RAM. I swapped for faster RAM and the BSOD re-occurred at the exact same point in the install process.

I have tried to uninstall and re-install, but since it never fully installs it is not in Add/Remove Programs and I have to manually uninstall and regedit out the keys that were dropped during the botched install.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you have any usb devices, including hubs and card readers, disconnect them for now and try again. Also try the Quiet ACPI=Off noApic as detailed in the Sticky "Read before posting".

3. kskreider

Thank you for your quick response.

I did have a USB charger for my mouse batteries plugged in. I unplugged it, rebooted and tried to install again. I still got a BSOD but this time it made it one step farther by telling me that it was ready to copy over the system files and to click OK to proceed. I never saw that step before today.

After I reboot it tries to find the driver for new hardware (Acronis Explorer). It searches and searches and then says that it cannot find timntr_2k.sys

I did not think that the quiet acpi=off noapic info in the sticky would help for one main reason which is that I cannot get TI to install at all so how do you suppose that I would have a Acronis True Image rescue disc?

4. kskreider

Any one else have other suggestions?

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

If you are still getting a stop number, post it here, or cut and paste it into the suuport part of Microsfts website and it should pop up with results for that particular STOP number.

Is your desktop a brand name PC, and what background utilities do you have running?

It may also be worthwhile -

1. Running MEMTEST86+ - you'll need to burn it to a CD - download form memtest.org .

2. Make a rescue CD from the laptop install, and then try booting your PC and see if the Linux envirnment also has a problem.

Colin

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

kskreider, if you are able to reproduce the following step:

please navigate to \WINDOWS\system32\drivers located on the laptop, find timntr.sys file, copy it to another folder, rename the copy to timntr_2k.sys and point the Search wizard to this file.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. kskreider

Bodgy: Ram is good. I have tried two different sets (also two different speeds)

Oleg: I tried your method. I found the file in System32\Drivers and copied it to a new folder and renamed it. I did the install and got the BSOD. When I re-booted I pointed the search at the re-named file and got a new error that it could not copy tifsfilt.sys.

I searched for the location of tifsfilt.sys and found it in C:\LastGood\System32\Drivers. It appeared to work. My system tray popped a bubble that said installation was successful but the device might not work properly until after a reboot. I rebooted and tried to execute using the desktop icon. Nothing happened. I browsed to the program file folder to execute from there. Nothing happened.

I did make an ISO rescue disk and will check that rescue disk from the other install and report back.

I'm baffled.

8. kskreider

Colin, I made a rescue disk from my other installation and it appears to run FINE on this PC. Isn't it only running off of the CD though?

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Yes at the moment, but we have proved (98%) that your machine itself doesn't have any strange hardware to stop TI working properly.

This now means something strange within Windows.

Do you still have the stop number?

Have you tried uninstalling, removing all registry entries and re-installing?

What utilities run in the background on your machine, firewall/av/updaters etc.

Colin

10. kskreider

Colin, thanks for your speedy reply!

Yes, I have followed the online tutorials here at Wilders for completely removing TI. Reg entries and all. Oddly enough a lot of them are not present which indicates to me that my installs are very botched.

No Firewall
    Symantec Endpoint Protection (disabled during installation attempts)
    Trillian IM

At startup:
    Quickbooks updater
    Adobe updater
    LCD rotation

I do not have my stop code written down but will re-create it and jot it down this time.

Thanks,

Keith

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Symantec - is it disabled from the system tray or from within Services?

If only from the system tray - open up services and disable any Symantec services - Symantec use the Windows COM system extensively and it likes to take control of everything.

Another option would be to try installing TI whilst in Windows safe mode - this should ensure minimal interference from other background utilities. I've not tried installing TI in safe mode, so I don't know if the TI installer sulks using this option.

Colin

12. kskreider

Stop Code:

0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X8062DC55, 0XB662FC28, 0X00000000)

Hopefully that looks right. It is gibberish to me...

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Microsofts main response to that error code is you need to download the latest service pack - but as you have SP3 you have that!

Might be worth checking that you have the latest Windows updates, and if you downloaded SP3 as an install file might be worth rerunning the installer.

I've got to go out now so won't eb back for 3 hours or so.

Colin

14. kskreider

Yes, this is running SP3 as is the one that I had the successful installation on. Both PCs are set up for automatic updates and installations. I just checked that this one is updated and it is.

I'm open to suggestions on other things to try. I suppose in a pinch I can just use the rescue media to make my backup.

15. Acronis Support

Hello kskreider,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

To find the reason for the encountered issue please obtain the following files:

1) Please do the following in order to enable mini-dumps:

- Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties";
    - Go to "Advanced" tab;
    - Go to "Startup" and "Recover Settings";
    - Choose "Small memory dump" in "Write debugging information" box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.

Now, please reproduce the system crash and obtain the mini-dumps created.

2) - Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the "Save" option in the "File" menu (or "Action" menu under Windows 2000), enter the "File name" and set the field "Save as type" to "System Information File (*.NFO)";
    - Send us the saved file.

Please let us know when you are able to provide us with the files.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

16. kskreider

Hi Oleg,

I will follow your procedure and send the system info file. Is there a preferred email address that I should send it to?

Feel free to post it here or to e-mail me at kskreiderAThotmailDOTcom.

Thank you,

Keith

17. Acronis Support

Hello Keith,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

I will send an e-mail to you. Please attach mini-dump file and sysinfo file to your response.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

18. kskreider

I would like to come back on here to publicly thank Oleg and Acronis for stepping up to the plate and helping me resolve my issues!

Case closed.

19. Acronis Support

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your feedback. You are more than welcome anytime.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.