Cannot Delete Events from Log File

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by reedm, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedm

reedm Registered Member

I have this problem in both B&R 10 Free and DB 10 Workstation. Select Tools>View Log File. The log file shows in the left upper pane. Push the Truncate File button. The Truncate Log File popup appears. Selecting any of the three truncation options has no effect on the list of sessions.

Does this function work for anybody else? The log file could get pretty large, if it can't be trimmed occasionally.

Reed

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I just tried it B&R10 Free.

All 3 Truncate options worked perfectly for me.

Just tried it on DB10 Server. Again all 3 options work as advertised.

EDIT: it works perfectly if you launch the Log Viewer from the Express Launcher.

You are correct - it does not work using the Log Viewer in the main program interface.

I think you found a bug.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. reedm

reedm Registered Member

I am sorry for being so dense, but I cannot find an Express Launcher, or any reference to it in the B&R 10 Help. How do I launch the Express Launcher/ Where is it hidden?

Reed

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Is it not with the DB10 Workstation?

I don't think it comes with the free one.

I made one for the free version - it's pretty easy.

Otherwise, inside the program folder is viewlog.exe - just run that:

VIEWLOG.exe2009-11-22_212539.jpg

5. reedm

reedm Registered Member

I cannot find an Express Launcher with DB10 WS. The log file deleting does work from the viewlog.exe in both B&R 10 Free and DB10 WS.

Interestingly, the log file truncation button and popup also does not work in PM10 Personal, or PM9.5 Pro. I have to use the viewlog.exe file to truncat log files in these applications, too.

They are clearly using the same code snippet in all their applications to work on log files, and unfortunately the snippet is broken. If they fix it one place, they can fix it in all applications.

Which Backup and Recovery are you running that has the Express Launcher exposed to the outside world? In the program folder, which .exe is it? How did you make one for B&R10 Free?

Reed

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi reed,

Copy and paste the explauncher.exe from the PM9.5SE program folder into the B&R10 FREE program folder.

D/L this file, rename to remove .txt extension.

View attachment B&r_FREE_ExpLauncher_ini.zip.txt

Unzip it - copy the explauncher.ini into the B&R 10 Free program folder.

Rt click the B&R Free shortcut on your desktop - select Properties.

In the Target box, change launcher.exe to explauncher.exe. Apply, OK.

SHORTCUT-EXPLAUNCHER-2009-11-23_004056.jpg

That's it.

Repeat the process for the DB10 Workstation with this d/l ( I don't have that app. - so guessed the useful launch items in this one):

View attachment B&R_Workstation_ExpLauncher_ini.zip.txt

Hope it helps

7. reedm

reedm Registered Member

Thanks SIW2. That works well in both applications. Now all we need is a button in the full scale version to kick us back to the Express version.

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You're welcome.

I don't see an easy way to do that.

You could have 2 desktop shortcuts - one to the explauncher.exe, and the other direct to the launcher.exe

Another Icon would be nice - to differentiate- I might see if I can get someone on Seven Forums to make one.

9. reedm

reedm Registered Member

Actually, it turns out that when you launch the full scale version from the Express version, it launches over the top of the Express version, but does not close the Express version. Closing the Full Scale version gets you right back to the Express version.

So all the special button may do is just close launcher.exe.

It would be nice if the underlying bug that caused this thread could get fixed.

Reed

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, that's in the ini. I posted up - in case you want to launch another function after fininshing with the first.

I figured it would be good to also have a shortcut which opens the main interface directly, without having to go thru. the express launcher.

Also, I have a lot of Paragon apps. - the icons are all the same - hard to tell the diff on the desktop.

There's a couple of bugs in these new 10 series - I am sure they are working on them . Hopefully will be a new build soon.

11. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Thanks guys for your finding. It is on its way to the developers desk :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.