Can You Trust Free Antivirus Software?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by InfinityAz, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

2. smage

smage Registered Member

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I wonder how much click-through ad revenue PC World gets when someone opts for a free program? :)

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Summarized

-Top 6(5) by PCW rating
    -Rating based on detection/overall performance/scan speed/etc

1. Avira: 92
    2. Avast: 91
    3. AVG: 86 - MSE: 86
    4. PC Tools: 69
    5. Comodo: 68

-Top 6 by detection rating
    1. Avira: 98.9%
    2. Avast: 98.2%
    3. MSE: 97.8%
    4. AVG: 95.8%
    5. Comodo: 74.6%
    6. PC Tools: 46%

-Top 6 by detection rating: 2 week old signatures
    1. Avira: 53%
    2. MSE: 52%
    3. AVG: 47%
    4. Avast: 46%
    5. Comodo: 41%
    6. PC Tools: 33%

-Top 6 by detection rating: 4 week old signatures
    1. Avira: 45%
    2. MSE: 44%
    3. AVG: 41%
    4. Avast: 41%
    5. Comodo: 39%
    6. PC Tools: 37%

EDIT: Detection tests are performed by av-test.org

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

They made a rather daft statement.

"Do-it-yourselfers can often find good advice at helpful sites like Wilders Security Forums, but even there you shouldn't expect to talk to anyone for help with a free antivirus app. (Unless you can bribe a techie friend, that is.)" :rolleyes:

Last time I checked free AVs get at least as much coverage as paid ones.Ok this is a minor thing but just one more reason why I can't take anything PC World does too seriously.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I thought Comodo was a fast scanner but seems it,s not correct too.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Yes you can trust free av programs.
    I disagree with the article regarding getting help for a free av at this forum. I think members are very helpful with free programs.

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Thanks for the compliment ;) .

Members, Staff Members, Experts (often wearing the "yellow jacket") as well as many Anti-virus company representatives attend our forums to provide help and usefull information. That goes for free security softwares as well.

Contributions from all mentioned above are the reason why our forums are vivid, alive and kicking, growing and do have established a well known and overall fine reputation worldwide. Thanks to all for that :thumb:

9. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Can You Trust Free Antivirus Software? If this question was asked a few years back, I would have say definitely NO. But now free security products are better than they ever had been before. I run my own computer shop and build custom systems for my customers. I give them the option of which security setups they want to use, paid or free. If they want paid, then I will install a trial version of the paid products and let them purchase the products themselves.

I used to recommend only paid products to my customers, but in the last year, I felt confident to recommend free products to my customers.

Most of my customers are novice because they pretty much don't know the rules of the does and don't(s).

What made me fell confident to recommend free products? over the last year, I had more customers with paid products experience more malware related issues than the customers with free products. Of coarse testing site can show some kind of comparison between paid and free products, but first hand experiences are much more reliable.

Of coarse the companies that sale only paid products, don't want others to know this because it cuts their sales.

So it is possible to built a system with only free security products and still have the reliable protection.

The following are what I use to build a free security setup for my customers based on their preferences: I also make recommendations if they don't know.

Avira AntiVir
    avast! Home Edition
    AVG Free
    Outpost Free
    Online Armor Free
    COMODO Internet Security (Firewall)
    a-squared Anti-Malware Free
    Privatefirewall
    PC Tools Firewall Plus
    Spyware Doctor Starter Edition
    SUPERAntiSpyware
    Malwarebytes
    Spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware Free
    SpywareBlaster
    Microsoft Windows Defender
    McAfee SiteAdvisor
    Spyware Terminator

My customers have been more satisfied with the free security setups because the cost is less plus the protection has been better for them.

Thanks.;)

10. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

trust that stems from the dikats of paid or free is a mere hogwash. you trust an av for its performance not whether its $80 or $00.The only thing lighter after shelling $$ for a much touted av is your purse...not your pc

11. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

good for panda :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

12. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Trust em, well yes and no.

Depends who/what you're trusting. Lots of excellent soft is available for free, and has been for years. Some is provided by a person or people who have other jobs but code in their spare time, often asking for donations, nothing wrong in that. A lot is very poor, or just ineffective.

Other free soft is provided by a person or people who run it as a business, this is a taster for other versions, which they hope you'll upgrade to.

The thing is, if very few people do purchase, then they won't be able to survive in the long term, no matter how good the soft is.

So in that sense, we won't be able to Trust that they'll always be around. Which would be a great shame, and i'm Sure a lot of us would miss them if they went.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Money well spent to support the anti-malware vendors that not only provide that free software but in the process, prevent the creeps and criminals that would like to empty your purse from doing just that.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  14. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I gotta agree with Ron. I don't mind paying for reasonably priced antivirus or antimalware software. It's pretty cheap insurance when you come to think of it. And at the same time we are supporting them and allowing them to hire more people, do more research, make more improvments, etc.

But to answer the question at hand. Yes, for the most part I do think you can trust and be adequately protected with the higher rated free solutions out there.

15. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Good point, they have to make money or we all would have a lot fewer security apps to choose from, and not near the quality either. Although I use a paid AV, I really appreciate these companies that provide free alternatives, because they realize how important it is that as many pc users as possible stay protected to help prevent the further spreading of malware and it's destructive ability.

16. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

17. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

MSE stats don't look too shabby either, and it's technically still in beta.

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It scans fast, not faster than Avira, yet. As stated by the article, you need to keep in mind that it's slower due to the deep analysis it does, as it doesn't have the added massive signature database like Avira. (Which is a good thing in my opinion.)

19. smage

smage Registered Member

Unfortunately no, it is only in french.
    But I'll summarise whaat happened.
    The guy was testing Mcafee Total Protection 2009 against fresh URLs but he could only use 5 URLs because in the process Mcafee got terminated by malware which it failed to stop.
    Upon reboot of the PC, Mcafee did not load and the PC was compromised.

So bashing AVs just because they are free is not a smart move, I wonder what paid AV has a better detection rate than Avira.
    There are some good free and paid AVs, one should choose one which really protects in real world situations.

20. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

ya its better to pay $80 to a top av than paying $50 for xp antivirus 2010.But statistics show that the % difference in paid and free is far less than the difference between $80 and $00

21. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

We have tons of internet users that don't bother installing an anti-virus even if money wasn't an issue. They believe browsing familiar web pages and checking email is just fine and won't cause any problems down the road.

These same people don't care about updating software, browsers and patching Windows updates. They are content with seeing the annoying Windows and Java update icons instead. Money and time well spent on more important things in life until they get strange bank statements from across the country. :D

22. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

23. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Running and being very pleased with the freeware versions of several AV/AM programs were sufficient incentive for me to take a crowbar to my wallet and license their commercial cousins. Quality programs with competent people behind them never fail to impress.

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

LOL! Someone has to support the botnets :rolleyes:

25. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Indeed they put a lot of trust in free anti-malware since their paid product could not measure up. However, such fact is beyond the point. The point is Symantec violated the MBAM software agreement. MBAM is free to the public but NOT for commercial use.

MBAM should have sued Symantec to oblivion. Symantec deserves to be sued. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.