Can you set up NOD32 to scan HOTMAIL?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ejr, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

1. My wife uses a comcast email as well as a hotmail email. The emails going to hotmail are not being scanned by NOD32. Is this fixable?

2. She cannot send email from the comcast account to any hotmail accounts.

I noticed on my computer (also just set up NOD and Zone Alarm) that I cannot send email to any hotmail accounts. I get the following error:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'blank@hotmail.com'. Subject 'test', Account: 'NetworkSolutions - myemail@gmpassociates.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 permit denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Is this NOD32 related? Zone Alarm related?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If you use Microsoft Outlook, EMON will scan mail brought in through it, if not, then you only have the protection of AMON.

I use Hotmail to send and receive theough MS Outlook at home without any issues, used it for years.

Cheers :D

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

How about if I use Outlook express?

4. Blackspear

I don't think you can bring Hotmail in using Outlook Express anymore (use to be able to), and no, in such a case only AMON will be your protection.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Blackspear

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

8. ejr

ejr Registered Member

My wife has 2 accounts set up on Outlook express. When she hits the send receive button, it checks both her comcast and hotmail accounts sumultaneously. The hotmail email is being pulled in by Outlook Express. But the emails are not being tagged as scanned by NOD32.

So what you are saying is that my hotmail emails will not get scanned? But I still have Amon protecting me. So is it safe to use this configuration?

If I switched to MS Outlook, would this problem be solved?

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I was under the impression EMON only worked with Outlook under corporate mapi mail environments, like when used with Exchange. If setup on POP3 Internet mail...IMON would cover it...same as it does with OE.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. ejr

ejr Registered Member

What I don't understand is that EMON works with my POP3 Comcast account checked though Outlook Express. But it won't work with Hotmail checked through OE? I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

Also, with only IMON protecting my computer from viruses through the hotmail account, is this safe?

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

13. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Ron, thank you for pointing these out. Unfortunately, parts of the replies are over my head as I am really not computer savvy at all.

But from what I gather, IMON and AMON should have me covered.

Now, if IMON and AMON are sufficient, why have EMON? Again, probably a stupid question but I really do appreciate your assistance.

14. Blackspear

Correct on both cases, I pull in Hotmail through MS Outlook and Nod32 checks it through EMON (I have looked at this twice before, and are 100% certain this is the case, however, now I'll need to check again when I get home :rolleyes: :D )

With Express you ONLY have AMON checking Hotmail messages, IMON will not scan HTTP Emails.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Imon, Amon, Emon, and HTTP scanning should do it.

I would recommend reading the help file in NOD for EACH module.

I understand the confusion. Take your time. :)

16. Blackspear

I resemble that remark :eek: ;) :D :cool:

17. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Ok, this is perhaps more confusing than it should be, but let me see if I can provide a little clarity. There are at least 4 different ways to access incoming email messages: 1) POP3, 2) IMAP, 3) HTTP, and 4) MAPI. POP3 is the oldest method and is the typical standard inbound email method used by ISP's. POP3 email is scanned by IMON (Internet Monitor). IMAP is a somewhat more advanced method for retrieving email that is used more infrequently in the real world. As far as I know, there isn't currently a way to scan IMAP mail with NOD32. HTTP is, as you know, the web protocol and is therefore web mail. HTTP mail may sort of be covered by IMON's HTTP scanning, but you won't get scanning notices appended to your email messages or anything. MAPI stands for Messaging Application Programming Interface and it is a proprietary email/messaging standard devised by Microsoft and, AFAIK, is really only used by Outlook in conjunction with Microsoft Exchange. EMON was designed to handled MAPI in particular.

Now, the extra confusion comes in Microsoft's two flavors of mail client: Outlook and Outlook Express. I believe that Outlook can handle all 4 forms of incoming mail, although I'm not sure HTTP, although I think they may have at one point devised a specific HTTP retrieval mechanism for Hotmail/MSN mail. Outlook Express, on the other hand, primarily only handles POP3/IMAP email (although, again, as I remember Microsoft devised a specific HTTP component for Hotmail awhile back as I recall). But OE does not handle MAPI email, and so you don't even really need to worry about EMON if you are using OE.

Finally, to top of the confusion even more, there is Hotmail. Hotmail is an HTTP mail service of course, but you can also receive Hotmail as POP3 email if you are using one of the paid versions of Hotmail like Hotmail Plus or MSN Mail or something like that. Hotmail used to let everyone download their email into a POP3 client, but they changed their policy on the free accounts like two years ago.

I have an old MSN email address that I maintain by just paying something like $20 a year, and so I just download my msn.com (hotmail, since they are one and the same now basically) into Outlook Express via POP3. I have no scanning issues, since to IMON it looks like any other POP3 email. Now, again, as I recall Microsoft temporarily advocated a special method in Outlook and Outlook Express for accessing Hotmail that made use of the HTTP protocol itself (and a specialized protocol called WebDAV), I believe. When you made use of this specialized Hotmail support, it would show up differently in OE as a unique "MSN Hotmail" icon below your "Local Folders" icon.

So, now, you should be thoroughly confused. Any questionso_O :eek:

18. ejr

ejr Registered Member

So long as I don't have to worry about viruses, I'm fine. If the gurus on this board tell me that I'm safe with this set up, that's good enough for me. I don't need to understand.

But your explanation was very good and helpful. You did a nice job of pulling itall together. Thank you.

19. Blackspear

Just to be 100% clear:

Hotmail IS CHECKED by EMON when brought in through Microsoft OUTLOOK

__________ NOD32 EMON 1.1310 (20051201) information __________

The email was checked by the NOD32 antivirus system:
    email from: XXXXXX @ hotmail.com to: XXXXXXX @ hotmail.com with subject Testing Email Tags dated 12/02/2005 17:32 - is OK email from: XXXXXXX @ hotmail.com to: XXXXXXX @ hotmail.com with subject Testing Email Tags dated 12/02/2005 17:32 - is OK

http://www.eset.com

There we have it, tested and confirmed as I thought, so anyone doing a search on the same subject can be assured that Hotmail (HTTP) is safe to use through MS Outlook with Nod32.

20. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Thanks Blackspear. I wish that I could say that this totally solved my problem, but that computer doesn't have Outlook :( I only have outlook express on that computer. But at least I know if I upgrade to Outlook, I can get my hotmail scanned. As always, appreciate your input.

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Yeah that's how I understood it. Here's what I still think....based on reading the NOD32 documention/help.

IMON covers the POP3 Internet mail setup....specifically port 110, so "whatever" e-mail client you are using....be it OE, or full blow Outlook, or Thunerbird, Pogo, etc etc...gets covered simply through the ports.

EMON is used to cover full blown Outlook..."when setup" in the MAPI environment...(and other MAPI compliant clients). Typically the MS Exchange environment. Meaning NOT when setup for POP3...different levels here, not port 110.

So now...the question is...what is Blackspear actually seeing that makes him believe EMON is properly doing its job on his Outlook? Just the tags on the e-mail? The little popup scan module? If the little popup scan module does show up..is it actually doing it? Or masking the fact that IMON really is? Or does EMON actually do double duty...working with port 110, and perhaps also port 25....just as long as you're using Outlook, in which case the documentation should be updated...because right now, based on reading the documentation..it does clearly only mention "in a MAPI environment".

Regardless, IMON/EMON are first layer of protection...a step away from your computer if you will, on the port level. You still have the second...main level of protection...AMON...which is when the file actually comes to your computer.

22. ejr

ejr Registered Member

So Blackspear, just for final clarification. If you were in my shoes running both a comcast email and a hotmail from the same machine that is NOT a ms exchange environment. And if you were currently using Outlook express to check those emails. Would you:

1. Not worry about and let AMON handle potential viruses coming in through hotmail?

2. Pay for the upgrade to MS Outlook and use outlook to check both accounts (keeping in mind, I still don't have an exchange server)?

3. Pay to upgrade your hotmail account to a POP3 (it would then get scanned, correct?)

4. Just stop using hotmail and direct all emails to the pop 3 comcast account that is being scanned?

5. Something else?

And even though I directed this to Blackspear, all replies are certainly welcome :)

23. Blackspear

For peace of mind and extra layers of defence, this is the option I would take. If funds were tight, then I would leave AMON to look after email attachments.

Upgrading to MS Outlook really has nothing to do with exchange if you are a home user; it is simply for a more powerful version of Express, giving you a Calendar and more options.

24. gue_st

gue_st Guest

It probably depends.
    With POP3, if AV fails, you will have virus on your computer.
    With http mail, if you delete suspicious attachments, you are generally more safe.

25. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Remember also that all Hotmail stuff is "pre-scanned" by Trend, as well. (Now that I mention it, maybe that's not much consolation...) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.