can you help me fix my computer, please?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

my stupid computer is broken again. the problem is happening more and more - when i start to move my mouse pointer it starts shooting all over the screen :eek: then about 4,5,6,7 or more programs or options will open(like just now one of my FF extensions was opened, google cache). so, sometimes when i move the pointer my zip program will open, FF will try to close, the start menu will open etc. and it all happens really quickly much faster then it is possible to do if i tried to do it.

i have done afew scans and they are clear, i might try using eScan 4.4.7. but i don't think it is malware. i have tried a couple of rootkit revealers too and they are clear. and i looked to see if there is any funny port activity and there isn't, so i think it's not foul play, but failing hardware or a system software problem. what should i do? or could i be wrong?

i was going to do sfc /scannow, then if that doesn't work a repair install. i also have some old ERUNT backups should i try that? if so when? before i do the repair, or after?

is there anything else you can tell me to do? thanks :) :'(

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I believe you are on the right track on the scannow and possibly a repair install if the scannow doesnt fix the problem. you might look at your system event viewer and see if anything is flagged.

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi iceni60,

What kind of mouse do you have? If it has a third-party driver, try using one of the generic Microsoft drivers instead.

Nick

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks BigC :) i hadn't thought of event viewer, i'll have a quick look. if i do a repair install, with the CD, do i need to change the boot order? even if it boots from the CD anyway when i put it in? i wouldn't have thought so, it's just that i always read that you need to go into the BIOS and put CD first in the boot sequence

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's just a normal plugin one with a wire. it plugs into the PS2 port. here's a picture of the driver/s for it. does it look OK?

Attached Files:

6. bigc73542

If the windows install disc runs if left in the tray on reboot don't change the bios. It will work just fine. If you comp is like mine xp pro the only thing that I have to reinstall after a repair install is sp2

bigc

7. nick s

nick s Registered Member

The first two are fine. The third driver (PGPsdk.sys) seems odd, but I don't use PGP.

Nick

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks BigC and Nick. i'll leave the boot order then. i don't know why that PGP driver is there. but the others look OK. i might try and update the mouse driver first before i do anything else. what do i do? go to WU and then go to catalog and see if i can get it there?

9. bigc73542

Go to device manager click on hardware and device manager right click on the mouse entry and click properties and then click on drivers and then update drivers. see screen shot

Attached Files:

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just had alook at the event viewer and i have an error about PerfNet, i don't now what that is. and i had alook for that PGP driver and the only other place i found it was at the other PS2 port, the keyboard.

i'm going to try and update the mouse driver then do the things i said in post#1

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, BigC i have done what you showed and it didn't find a better match. the last time i did a reinstall i used the windows CD, then updated the drivers myself. i have got a recovery CD, that has all the correct drivers on, as well as the windows CD. with the screen shot below can i put in the recovery CD?

Attached Files:

12. bigc73542

Well it was worth a shot. Good luck and i hope you get it fixed before you do a repair install but at least that is not to bad to do.

bigc

13. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks BC. HD rider UK did your pointer still move around even if you had stopped moving it? i'll have alook at the link too :)

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i don't think it is a mouse problem because it does thinks that using a mouse can't do like opening menus that shouldn't be accessible from the window i'm on. and other odd things happen. i'll do sfc /scannow then a repair and see how it goes. thanks for all the help :)

here's a picture of it in the middle of one of it's attacks, this is just a split second of it, the next split second would have something like 3/4 menus opening and closing.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.