Can TrueCrypt encrypt just folders?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by truthseeker, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Is there a way to use TrueCrypt to encrypt just a folder on my HDD?

For example, I would like to encrypt C:/users and all the sub-folders within that.

The main reason is that I use aMSN Messenger, and all my personal and private profile photos are stored in C:/users/truth/amsn

2. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

No.

You can move a folder into a TC container but you can't just pick a folder and encrypt it.

Also you can't mount containers to a directory at this point, just drives, I believe.

3. ex3

ex3 Registered Member

container content can leak, i think it would be better if you use deepfreeze, to freeze the pc permanently and store the container on usb or server. from time to time use free space wipe, wipe over deleted content, many ppl will agree that there will be no container trails left on the pc. dont forget your isp logging all your non secure communication, this varies from isp to isp,

4. truthseeker

That's a shame. I was hoping to encrypt C:/users then I could have MSN etc encrypted and protected.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. truthseeker

Thanks, but I need a on-the-fly encryption and decryption application like Truecrypt, that will support just folders.

7. NeilC

NeilC Registered Member

Why can't you use TC to create a container and mount it as a new drive letter, create the folder on that virtual encrypted drive and go from there?

That's where I've install Firefox for instance. That way I can have all my web passwords in it, but if my computer is stolen nobody has access to my webmail or banking etc.

8. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Something else you can do is look into TCTemp and TCGina, which work with TrueCrypt to encrypt the temp and user profiles. I'm not sure if its been updated for TC6, but it works with TC5.

And containers themselves don't leak, its Windows that leaks, by storing bits and pieces of information everywhere. Aside from freezing a system, you could use system encryption. That would cover everything at once.

9. truthseeker

Your method doesn't bypass the fact that firefox will store private data in your C:/users folder.

I have found a better solution. I used TC to create a a container and mount it as a new drive letter as you have suggested, but then I now use portable firefox from portableapps.com and have it running from the TC encrypted container.

This way 100% of all my Firefox passwords and cache etc is all stored on my TC container and nothing is ever saved onto my C:/users folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.