Can True Image create a bootable restore external drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Sparky9292, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Registered Member

Newbie question:

I've seen software that can create a set of bootable spannable DVD's for restoring laptops. However, since Vista and installed software is like 50GB, I was wondering if there is a way to buy a Maxtor external drive, and use True Image to create a bootable external restore drive?

Lets say my hard drive gets really destroyed.

Can I simply plug in an external USB or Firewire drive, and have it magically restore the entire OS back to the way it was?

What kind of external drive do I need? What kind of software do I need?

2. Tipperton

Tipperton Registered Member

True Image can create a bootable disc, however:

I believe the bootable disc, is only for CDs/DVDs.

Your BIOS would have to support booting from a USB or Firewire devices, some don't, especially older ones.

Here's what I'd suggest since I *know* it will work.

Use the "Bootable Rescue Media Creator that comes with True Image and make a bootable CD with the full version of True Image on it. That way it'll have drivers to support USB, SCSI, and posibly FIrewire devices.

Then just create normal backups to the external drive.

Then when or if you need to do a full restore, boot from the CD you made and use it to do the restore from the external drive.

You could also configure the backup to put the full version of True Image on the external drive, then try booting from it, if it works, you're all set, if not you have the bootable CD to fall back on.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Yes, it can be done fairly easily.

The external drive can be made Aconis bootable booting into their TrueImage Backup program.

Then the second partition could be a data partition to hold your backup archives.
    I have several external drives this way.

Check line 4 of my signature below for the link to MudCrab's excellent posting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.