Can Returnil be forceably enabled for specific users?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by jelson, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jelson

jelson Registered Member

Let me back up and lay out the intention behind this question:

I was telling some friends about Returnil and how cool it is.

They have a teenager that uses their family computer and are tired of their machine being adversed effected by him. They have him as a lmited user on their Windows XP machine.

Is it possible to set up Returnil so that whenever he logs on to their machine that System Safe is automatically enabled?

That way anything that has happened while he is logged on "never happened" after he logs off and the system is rebooted. :thumb:

Seems to me that this would be a perfect solution for them.

BTW, I also recommended Norton IS 2010 due to it's superior Parental Controls.

What should I tell them? (I'll end up being the one who installs and configures Returnil for them. ) Thanks in advance.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

As an added level of protection, a basic implementation of SRP as outlined here would help.
    That a system level setting, so no.
    The strategy has merit. Since you can basically run this scenario manually (i.e. do not have System Safe enabled on Windows start, manually initiate System Safe after logon to User X account, system remains in System Safe mode until next restart regardless of user logged on), there's not a fundamental limitation involved.
    It really depends on their usage style and whether a non-system partition storage location (or judicious use of the virtual partition) and use of the File Manager would operationally work.

Blue

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi jelson and welcome to the forums :)

One way to do this might be through a workaround where the user would not be allowed to access a browser directly but could run a safe surfing CMD similar to what is discussed in this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=258716

I have also made an inquiry with the Development team regarding a way to force this that is a bit easier to implement.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.