Can NOD32 2.011b be installed before Office2003?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Devinco, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Everyone,
    I am in the process of doing a clean install of XP Pro.
    As recommended, I made a HD image after a clean XP Pro install.
    I next want to install all security apps and make another image.
    Following that I will install Office2003 and other apps and make another image.
    However, NOD32 has IMON which interfaces with Outlook and DMON which interfaces with Office documents.
    Is there any problem with installing NOD32 before Office2003?
    Will NOD32 work the same as if it was installed after Office2003?

2. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

Hi Devinco

I would recommend installing NOD32 after you have done all of the updates to XP and installed Office2003 + updates. I recently did a clean slate and have no problems with the NOD32 "beta".

Greetings

Saphire

3. Devinco

Hi SaphireX,
    Thanks for your reply!
    I thought NOD32 might be independent of Office.
    For example, if you have NOD32 and Office installed, IMON handles the scanning of emails for Outlook.
    But then let's say you install a different email client like Mozilla Thunderbird.
    Does IMON handle the email coming in and out through Thunderbird as well (without any setting adjustment)?
    If it does, then it would be independent of the email program used, wouldn't it? :doubt:
    Also, if DMON just watches for specific file types, then wouldn't it be independent of Office?

It is not a huge deal, but if NOD32 requires Office2003 to be installed first in order to operate properly, it should be stated somewhere.
    I haven't read anywhere about having to install Office first, so maybe it doesn't matter?
    Also, if the install order does matter, then that should be mentioned during talks about clean slate installs.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Devinco

Have you read through this page?

I don't have office 2003. I just disable Dmon. Not needed in my case.

Beta info

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  5. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I never had an issue with Office 2K3 Pro. As others have said, better to get everything installed, then install the AV. In reality though it shouldn't matter.

6. Devinco

I thoroughly read the page and there are a couple of points:
    Doesn't that mean as far as IMON is concerned, you can install NOD32 before or after the email client? Or that it will work regardless of the email client used? Does it not hook into the OS to intercept any POP wherever it comes from and whatever email client you use? :doubt:

Does this mean that NOD32 should be installed after Outlook?

The beta link provided info about IMON's HTTP web browser scanner.
    Which brings up another question:
    Do you have to install Firefox before NOD32 beta in order for this IMON HTTP scanning to work properly?

And then there is DMON. Does it need to be installed after Office2003?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to understand it so I get the install sequence right.
    Ronjor, did you have NOD32 installed before or after your email client and Firefox?

7. Devinco

Hi tazdevl,
    Did you have NOD32 installed before or after Office 2k3 Pro?
    I could understand if NOD32 would require Office, a different email client, or Firefox to be installed first.
    But if it was required for NOD32 to function properly, then wouldn't Eset mention this anywhere?

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

IMON will scan your email regardless the order you install your mail client and other progs in.

9. Devinco

Great! Thanks Marcos.

What about DMON?

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Devinco

The beta states that Dmon requires Office 2000 or later to work. Since I don't have Office 2000 or later, Dmon just sits there.
    You are given the option of what modules to install when you install in the expert mode.

11. Devinco

Thanks ronjor.

But if you were to now install Office2003 (after NOD32), would DMON awaken from its idle state and function normally? (the same as IMON?)

Is there a way to test if DMON is functioning correctly?
    So far it seems that IMON and AMON are independent of the installation order.
    If DMON doesn't care about the install order then I could have an clean image containing all security apps (NOD32 included) and then install Office and other apps. I am willing to test this out, but I would need a safe way to determine if DMON is functioning correctly.

12. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

Can someone explain, in words of few syllables, what DMON does that AMON doesn't. How does the MS Antivirus API help? If you access a .doc file is it checked by DMON alone or DMON then AMON? o_O

13. Devinco

Well, I searched various posts about it and here is what I found. (Combined posts from Blackspear, Sir Carew, Marcos, and others)

Is an office file scan by both DMON and AMON?
    If the office document is on the web viewed by IE, is it scanned by DMON and IMON?
    What happens if an office file is downloaded (or viewed if there is a plugin?) in Firefox? Is DMON involved or just IMON?

Anyway back to my question, I will try install NOD32 first and then Office2003 and see if it works.
    How can I test if DMON is working properly?

Thanks

14. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

Thanks for that. The important bit I didn't know is that it 'serves for scanning Microsoft Office documents and files downloaded automatically by Internet Explorer'.

Makes a bit more sense now.

15. Devinco

I installed Office 2003 after NOD32 and it appears to be working fine (no errors).

But, how do I test if DMON is actually working?

16. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

When opening an office document (or just opening Word, in which case the new file created will be scanned) at the lower left you will see Requesting virus scan.. (where you would normally see the document properties i.e. Page 1 Sec 1 etc.).

I hope this helps.

17. Devinco

Cool! :cool: Thanks rumpstah!
    It works. It flashes by pretty quickly but it does it.
    I now noticed also the NOD32 control center for DMON and saw that it lists the number of files scanned. It would increment every time I opened an office document: Word, Excel, and Access.

Now I have my answer:

YES, you can install NOD32 2.011b before Office2003 and it will still work as it should and scan Office 2003 documents with DMON.
    Now I can make a hard drive image with all my security apps first. Then make another image with all my regular apps and it will work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.