Can neither boot nor reinstall Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vinyamar777, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyamar777

vinyamar777 Registered Member

My PC came as WinXP, with a pending Vista option. Vista duly installed. I think a recent Windows upgrade caused a problem, and I cannot get back into Windows.

Ubuntu live disk boots OK, allowing me access of files. Likewise Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 – though some features I think are lacking due to Vista.

The Vista_Recovery_Disc.iso from http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/ , the Evesham XP media Recovery DVD, and normal boot attempts, only get “NTLDR missing”.

An XP DVD goes into Setup, loads various files, then hangs on “Windows is starting windows”, world without end.

A Vista DVD goes into loading files, the a BSD (0x0000005C).

Any ideas please?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Is that an Abit mobo?
    If so, you need to install some drivers first, which should have come with the mobo on a floppy disk ... and a floppy disk drive in your tower, respectively.
    Mrk

3. vinyamar777

Hi Mrkvonic

No, it's a Foxconn mobo (either 946GZ7MA/946PL7MA). I have the CD, but don't know how to install drivers.

The tower lacks a floppy, but I can write to CD/DVD on another PC.

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

If you previously managed to boot-it wouldnt be a driver issue.

Notice your Vista recovery disk is for 64bit- does your system support it?
    Try a Systems Restore from the disk.

Go to BIOS and see if your drive is being recognised and also make the boot sequence so the hard drive boots first.

Your manual will tell you how to do this( as well as how to load the drivers form the CD).

Go to this site and make a CD with the suggested fixes.

Read the whole article.

If you cant make anything work,you will have to fresh install.

Hope everything is backed up.

Do you have a recovery disk which also allows you to format your drive externally?

If not download GParted,( or similar)format using the disk and then reinstall.

You seem to have another computer available,so the download options etc. would be possible.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  5. vinyamar777

Hairy Coo

Thanks.

I used the 32 bit v from the 64 bit page – it had both vv. But this didn’t get me anywhere.

Downloaded from http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing onto a Vista PC the zipped fixntldr.iso file (2,112 Kb), then burnt it onto a DVD-RW (I presume the CD-R isn’t a must). Instructions say to also install the iso recorder, but think it’s only burn software, unneeded by Vista, and when I tried it seemed somewhat incompatible. Step 4’s “boot faulty PC” just got the NTLDR flag. Yes, the BIOS is set boot from DVD before HDD. So is the problem the MBR?

For the “Installation CD Option” I have the OEM Windows XP CD – that still goes into Windows’ setup, then hangs indefinitely. Yet Ubuntu (Linux) Live CD can run – if it wasn’t my software being Windows maybe I’d live on Linux! As it is I do wish Windows back.

I had not made any recent hardware change, Ubuntu runs OK, & when looking at the partitions (Acronis Disc Director) two were marked Primary – I’ve merged back all partitions. I really think its software at fault.

I cannot get to the Recovery Console Option since my Windows CDs don’t get me to the Repair option.
    You mention GParted, which I see is a Linux thing, though I have mucked around with Acronis. Is this something my Ubuntu CD can do? If so, can you guide me? My primary data was backup up online, so not overly tearful if the HDD looses any remaining data & settings.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Assuming you are using genuine XP or Vista DVD's to install from, I see a couple of possibilites.

1) Could be hardware, although probably unlikely, I just went thru this with a bad disk cable.

2) Drivers missing

3) Some residual stuff on the disk causing the issue. For this I'd get your disk drives utilities and try zeroing the disk first.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.