Can I resume a PM resize partition operation?

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Knitram, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Knitram

Knitram Registered Member

I have done something incredibly stupid.

Using Paragon PM 11, I started the process of resizing a partition (making it larger - extending it into unused space of the disk) but canceled the process somewhere halfway through.

Of course, the partition turned out to be non-functional afterwards (RAW) and I cannot get any of my files. And my backup was 18 months old...

Incredibly stupid, I know, but now I am desperately trying to find a way to get back my old files.

Is there any way of resuming the operation? Or is there any other way of rescuing the files on the partition?

Extremely greatful for any help...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

If you boot from the Paragon Linux recovery disk, possibly the operation will resume.

3. Knitram

Where do I find the Paragon Linux recovery disk?

I tried with Paragon Rescue Kit 11, but it doesn't seem to recognize that there is a cancelled partition move operation.

BTW: If it isn't possible to "complete" the resizing the operation, I would of course be just as happy if it was possible to "roll-back" the operation. Probably goes without saying though...

Thanks.

4. Knitram

Found the rescue disk in PM11, created it and booted with it. But it doesn't seem to recognize that there is an interrupted resize operation.

Is there any special way to make it actively look for a cancelled operation?

Thanks.

5. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

6. Knitram

I'll give it a try. How do I "delete" the partition in the right way in order not to destroy anything for the "undelete" operation later?

Thanks

7. fireworker

Rescue disk is Linux-based? Then 1) Delete raw. 2) Search (undelete) partition(s) in unallocated space. 3) Select needed, "old", "right" partition. 4) Undelete it.

Attached Files:

8. Knitram

Thanks for the instructions. The operations worked, i.e. I deleted the partition and found the old partition again.

BUT, unfortunately the old partition is corrupt/partial. Many files have the pointers, but they aren't located there anymore.
    (EDIT: Some files and folders seem also to be deleted from the partition)

So here is what I am thinking:
    - The "Move" operation in Paragon Partition Manager had progressed for quite some time.
    - The files that have not yet been moved, they still have the correct pointers and working using the "old" recreated partition.
    - BUT the files that have already been moved by PM are stored in some other fashion. And this was not yet created as a new partition (or at least none that Paragon's rescue/restore disk could find).

Does anyone know how PM works when moving a partition, and if the above makes sense? And if so, does anyone know how to find these moved files?

Or is there something else I have missed, or should try?

(FYI - I haven't been working from the original disk, but made a "sector-based clone", so I can still go back to the original disk state right after the operation cancellation if needed).

Again, all help is greatly appreciated. The files I am chasing are family photos and videos...:'(

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. fireworker

This is a very wise decision!
    For me it is somewhat surprising that the files are moved. You have tried to expand the partition, moving begin of partition?
    Since you have a sector-based image, you can now work with him without risking. You can mount the image and consistently try to recover the files with special programs. At Paragon not have such programs, programs from other vendors - thousands. For me sometime helped: R-studio, PartitionGuru, iCare Recovery, ZAR ..

10. Alhaitham

Alhaitham Registered Member

This program successfully recovered my files from a raw drive

you can download the trial first to make a search for your files

if you find your files, you can get the full version to recover them

a nice feature is that it recovers the folder structure too

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

11. Knitram

Yes I deleted a small 15 GB unused partition that was before this partition, and wanted to expand this partition into that area. I have no idea what operation Partition Manager uses to do this, but it is obviously moving a lot of files around.

Thanks for the advice on the different recovery SWs. Is there any of them that lets you do some real recovery before charging you (i.e. at least a few GBs)? And any that supports the AVCHD file format (.m2ts file extension)?

The reason I am asking is that in the corrupted partition it seems like I have 70 GB+ of Movies, but when I open them they are almost all corrupted. So it won't be until after some recovery that I know if the recovery program does any better than that.

12. Knitram

UPDATE:
    I have gone through a long list of rescue tools. And through them I can get at least some of the lost data back, though not all. And everything is a complete mess.

So to my question:
    This being the "Official Paragon Support Forum", isn't there anybody who can answer my original question.

Question:
    Is it possible to resume the cancelled "move partition" operation in any way? Or is it possible to roll it back?

And: Does anybody know what the program actually does when it moves a partition, since particularly my family videos seem to have been largely corrupted?

Thanks.

13. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Knitram,

Sorry for the trouble you've been going through. Yes when you resize a partition, the data on that partition is very likely moved because the data storage on the disk is not sequential. Therefore canceling the "resize partition" operation is dangerous since data might be lost.

In your case, partition recovery might be possible, however expect some data loss. Sorry to say this. The best you should have done, is to create a disk image of the whole disk using sector-by-sector imaging.

Do this now and then try data recovery.For partition recovery, I recommend Terabyte Bootit Bare Metal v1.25. For data recovery, try PartitionGuru v4.5 pro version.

14. Knitram

Thanks for your reply.

I have been working from a sector-by-sector disk image all along. That's why my original question should still be valid (the source HDD is still untouched).

Appreciate the addtional rescue tool recommendations. Are these any better in sorting out a cancelled Paragon Partition Mgr mess than the ones I have already tried? The once I have tried are:
    - Paragon Manager Recovery Disk 11
    - Paragon Rescue Kit 11
    - EaseUS Data Recovery 7.0
    - MiniTool Power Data Recovery 6.8
    - MiniTool Partition Wizard 8.11
    - Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery 6.0 (currently using, but oh so slooow)

Also I did the "sector-by sector" image using EaseUS Disk Copy, but I assume that one works as well as any other. Correct?

Thanks.

15. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

16. oliverjia

Glad to know you've already done the disk imaging. IMO Terabyte Bootit Bare Metal (BIBM) is much better than Paragon, MiniTool and AOMEI partition assistant in partition recovery. I once had a corrupted partition table (when restoring an disk image made by Active@ Disk Image and the restore failed on start, rendering a un-recognized raw disk), all the other tools I tried failed to recovery all the partitions, while only Terabyte BIBM successfully recovered all partitions correctly within seconds. It's definitely worth a try.

Regarding data recovery, PartitionGuru (former DiskGenius) is highly reputable in China and my personal experience with it is also very good. You can try the free version first to see if it can find all your data or not, then if it can, you can go ahead and buy the pro version to actually recover the data. IMO its better than EaseUS, paragon and MiniTool. I have not used Stellar so I don't know if it's any good.

Also Runtime Software Getdataback for NTFS/FAT and lazesoft recommended by stapp is also worth a try.

Yeah i think the image you backed up using EaseUS should be fine to use.

17. Knitram

With these programs you mentioned, do I need to delete the RAW partition first in order to recover and re-create it later?

18. oliverjia

No need to delete the raw partition, just go ahead for partition/data recovery.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.