Can I just shutdown OA while I test ZA?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I'm quite satisfied with my OA free and will keep it on the desktop but I am considering trying the ZA Pro on the notebook since isn't always in its safe little home network.

2. sded

sded Registered Member

No. Firewalls generally have low level drivers that load independently of everything else, and often cause Confusion and Chaos when run together. OA uninstalls pretty cleanly, so removal and reinstallation should work pretty well. I am surprised you think ZAP is better for non-home networks. The OA network status display and the Interfaces and Computers tabs under Firewall are the most useful I have found for managing mobile computing with multiple networks. I dumped Comodo partly because of that. Are you using OA free v3?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Yes I am! I probably won't mess with it since I really like OA. Comodo was just to configurable for me and after asking about memory usage I see where ZA Pro uses about twice as much as OA. I suspect it is because of the Anti-Spyware and other features. But it is still tempting with this free license sitting in my gmail! I am in no way trying to start an A is better than B thread mods.

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I use Paragon Drive Backup (V8.51) to backup my system, then swap out the harddrive with a spare and restore.

I can do anything I want and simply reinstall the original harddrive to get back to what I had before.

Physical security is the best.

5. sded

sded Registered Member

I got a free ZAP also, and put it on a backup machine at home to see how much it had changed since I used it several years ago. Looks like an improvement in most areas. But still didn't see anything special for the mobile user like in OA. I just choose between trusted and untrusted networks as I move from place to place, and find the list of computers very useful to evaluate traffic (and risk). And the Firewall Status Display to see what is happening when I try to log onto an open wifi. :thumb:

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Sure go ahead and try it! :eek:

It's like asking can I jump out the window, you can but it's not recommended.

BUT I STRONGLY recommend you un-install OA first to do a ZA Pro test.

The "techie gods" don't like 2 suites on the same laptop at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.