Can I Image a bad drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DaveD, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I lost a lot of data because of a bad drive. I tried demo version of other data recovery tools, they lock up when they get to bad clusters. Will TI clone the drive and handle bad clusters without problems?

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Instead of trying to image a bad hard drive to get your data, have you thought about trying to mount the hard drive as a slave drive on another system and access your files that way?

Or maybe try using Winternals to access your files?

Just a thought :)

3. DaveD

DaveD Guest

My hard drive was in an external enclosure. I was able to copy data to it before refreshing my pc. After refreshing the pc, I attempted to copy the data from the external drive back to the pc. The external drive did not show in Win Explorer. The partition was destroyed. I was able to recreate the partition and did a quick format. Now I want to recover the data from the drive. I am hoping True Image can handle cloning the drive and bypassing the bad sectors so I can recover my data.

Can True Image do this?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DaveD,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Have you formatted the partition on the external drive? f so it is unlikely that you will be able to use Acronis True Image to recover data. However, you may try to use free demo version which is available at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ It can make images but you will not be able to restore them (the restriction of trial version).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Thanks for the info. Here is more on the subject.

I have an external hard drive that I want to recover data from. It was originally formated with FAT32. I copied data to it. I later attempted to copy the data off of it. Apparently the partition was destroyed. I created a partition and did a quick format to NTFS.

I want to try and recover the data. Do you have any products that will allow me to do this? I was told I should look for a product that does a bit by bit copy from the bad drive to a good drive. If bad clusters are encountered, it will read around them. Can any of your products do this?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DaveD,

We' haven't tested our software under the conditions you mentioned. As I posted earlier you may try to create the image with Acronis True Image (even with free trial version) and see whether it finds the data that was on FAT32 partition.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Consider getting SpinRite 6 - it's expensive (no trial version but 30 day refund offered) but I don't know of a better disk recovery tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.