can i have two FFs on one PC?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi :) i want to put another Firefox on my computer so my sister can have one too and wont have to use mine. how can i do it? thanks :)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just put it in a different folder when you download it. and rename the desktop icon so you will know which is which.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, bigc :) i was thinking about renaming, but i had no idea if it would work or not so thanks :cool:

4. bigc73542

I have had three opera browsers on here before, got a little confusing.

bigc

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

at least that proves it will definitely work. not that i doubted you.

so i download firefox, install it, then rename the desktop icon o_O how do you do it?

download, put in a folder, i.e. firefox2, or do i remame the setup exe?, then install, then rename the icon?

6. bigc73542

To rename the desktop icon, right click the icon and click on rename and type the new name in the little box under the icon. You should create a new folder in program files before you download it so you can install it in it's own folder when it ask where to save it. in case you don't know how to make a new folder just right click on an empty spot in programe files and chose new/folder and type the name you want for it in the little box under the folder.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the thing i was worried about was installing it over the one i have. then also losing the folder in Application Data, i'll back up the mozilla folder in Application Data first though.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  8. bigc73542

Don't installit over the one you have, that is what the new folder in program files is for, be sure to name it something different than the original ff folder. Something like FF02, anyway you get the idea.

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yeah, i'll get it when i do it, i hope :D , plus i'll back up everything before hand so if it goes wrong i'll use the backups. thanks for the help BigC :)

10. bigc73542

I hope it works well for you :D

bigc

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'll let you know. i am thinking of trying kmeleon again, so there's a chance i may use that instead. oh, i think i just got it. it's when you are installing it and it asks you were to install it, it normally will say program files\firefox as the default location and give you an option to change it. but, i will have made a folder in program files called firefox 2 and that's were i will browse to when it asks during the setup. OK, thanks BigC i'm sure now, so there wont be any problems :cool:

12. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hi iceni , you could try firefox moox as this loads into documents and settings rather than programm files. It also has a blue icon so you will see the diffirence. I havent tried both on my system but there is no reson why it shouldnt work. I currently use Moox .

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, solarpowered candle :) i think i might already have the setup file somewhere already. i'm not sure what to install at the moment. thanks though for the idea :)

14. firefoxfan

firefoxfan Guest

It would be a lot simpler just to create another profile. Different profiles have different bookmarks, settings , history,cache, extensions, themes etc. The only thing they share is plugins and search engine plugins.

If you install another copy of firefox, you will still need to create another profile, for your sister. If you reuse the same profiles, you will have gained nothing.

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if i had two profiles wouldn't we have to manually change them every time? i don't think i could trust my sister with my profile if we did have to do it manually :eek:

16. firefoxfan

firefoxfan Guest

I'm afraid even with 2 seperate firefox application folders you would still need to switch firefox profiles manually.

Regardless of where or how many firefoxes you have, they all look for the profiles in the same place. which is %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

I was wondering whether each firefox installation could remember seperately which was the last profile used, but it seems that they don't. Eg if the last profile used by firefox1.exe is "Default user". When you run firefox2.exe, it will use "default user" too.

So you will still have to switch manually using the profile manager even if you installed firefox twice.

Have you considered seperate user accounts ? Assuming you are on XP of course. That would work.

17. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi ICE :)
    Your sister should really have her own log-on with her own profile set to LTD user VIA The control panel. It is not good practice to share your login with anyone else including family as any fault that crops up can be dealt with more easily. Also in doing it this way your sister will be able to configure her own browser to her liking with out it interfering with your settings

Regards

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks firefoxfan and Nick. this is my Mum's house and computer, i sold my house and moved in last year and will move out latter this year. my sister hardly ever comes over and uses the PC and my Mum only uses it for email once a week, that's why there's only one account. anyway, i'm going to install kmeleon now, it looks like it will be the easiest thing to do. thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.