Can I get away with no Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by screamer, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I've got 6 networked PC's here, 5 of the 6 use a SW Firewall. Asus Eee PC Xandros doesn't use one. Well yesterday, my main workstation stopped Internet connectivity. It was Outpost 2008 acting up. I un-installed / re-installed, still having issues. Rather than reverting to an earlier version of Outpost, I was wondering if I could run without a SW Firewall. The tech at Cablevision / Optimum Online suggested this to me a while back, since I'm behind a router w/ NAT / SPI. I just disregarded his suggestion since I'm "so security conscious".
    Since yesterday without a Firewall I've turned on the SSM Network Rules for outbound. How about some Pro & Con to my application:

...screamer

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Re: Can I get away with no Firewall

yes, Quite a few here do, including me.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont use a firewall, simply because my router includes a buisiness-standard one.

4. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, you can get away with no 3rd party SW firewall. But I would keep the Windows Firewall enabled - it doesn't slow down or break anything, and there have been reports about vulnerabilities in various routers.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

The question of needing or not needing a SW firewall bothers you constantly? even though you are behind router and so on ? I would

Just find a easy going free software firewall such as Comodo 3 w/o defense+, and then your worry will just disappear. I use Comodo fw's core feature--firewall only, nothing more, nothing less, and worry free.

Take care.

6. screamer

I think I'm gonna "take a walk on the wild side" and live w/o one for a while. At least on this one box.

...screamer

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

over 3 years now, without a software firewall.

no problems, and ports always stealthed of course.

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

That's exact why none of these Firewall(software) developers get fatter(in terms of $$), meantime, the product itself gets a boost(waist line). :p

9. werewolf

werewolf Registered Member

Duh, how do you stealth the ports?

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The router takes care of that....

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

what he said ;)

my router uses a buisiness-standard firewall.

very good :D

12. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Seconded.

You should also consider the possibility of one of your network computers, compromised by malware or other means, attacking your network from BEHIND your router. If this is a concern, Windows Firewall is useful as a last-line defense in such a scenario.

13. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

A router stops inbounds. A software firewall stops outbounds. Better safe then sorry and since there are 2 tops choices for free firewalls ( Online Armor,Comodo) your better safe then sorry.

14. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

I personally use a software firewall only to make sure of which apps access the internet.

15. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Same here, old Kerio 2.1.5 does the trick and very light;)

16. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I'm with Optimum too and I think they're probably right.
    I have a router w/SPI and NAT.
    Don't need a 3d party firewall.
    But I do use HIPS and a sandbox.
    Regards.
    Hugger

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I would recommend a good (or semi-decent) software firewall.
    There probably are some that are free.

I'm behind a router too, but an earlier version of the McAfee firewall showed in its log 'unwanted attempts to make a connection' (my words, I don't recall what McAfee called it). So, some stuff did get past the hardware firewall in my router.

Being no expert, but: a good hardware firewall in a router should stop a lot, but how is a router able to know if what's coming in is what you want to come in ?

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Since you have the router, nothing will get in past it. So the only issue is how worried are you about outbound? If SSM covers that, then you should be ok. An added software firewall is bound to just create issues and slow things down a little. My vote would be to skip that and rely on the router and SSM.

19. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

My laptop is behind a router, but I'm still using a software FW because it is still useful when the laptop is connected to other networks (public wireless, for instance)

20. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Hmm. Windows XP and dialup would be a no go for me. Behind a router FW would be okay if you watched what programs you download and run. I use a soft FW and I'm behind a router FW but I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy.

SourMilk out

21. Antus

Antus Registered Member

Please Read this by the author....

http://www.securityteacher.com/2008/01/16/security-choices-part-1-the-software-firewall/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2008
  22. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

There is a possibility to use XP without firewall even on dialup. It is possible to close all opened ports, and in this case you have inbound protection. But you must be very carefull what programs you are running on that computer, or what sites you visit...

23. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

This, of course, has always been true. It's just when Win2K came along, it became more tedious to insure closed ports, making using a router or firewall easier to accomplish that goal. Just to prove that it can be done on Win2K, I ran a test with firewall disabled for four days a couple of years ago and had no problems.

Whether or not one feels that such a device is necessary depends on one's particular situation, and, of course, one's perception of risk or threat, as it does in any aspect of computer security.

----
    rich

24. screamer

I turned on Win XP FW for the added security and I have faith in SSM for the outbound. I didn't notice any speed change when I turned on Win FW. That's a good thing :)

...screamer

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I did the same for about 2 months on 2k without any problems at all. It takes a little work to close all ports, but it wasn't bad. Much easier as you say though, to just use something like CHX or the Win Firewall in XP. One could also run without an AV, on-demand only, yet it's usually just easier to let it run resident...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.