Can BOClean deal with rootkits...?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Nigel B, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nigel B

Nigel B Registered Member

I am considering purchasing BOClean and was wondering if it provided defence against rootkits.

I am thinking specifically of the rootkits that seem to be appearing on CD's as an anti-copying protection (Sony for instance, and now EMI). I like playing CD's on my computer when I'm working, but don't want these rootkits on my system.

Would BOClean protect me from these things, and rootkits in general as well...?

Thanks for your help,

Nigel

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Just look up "root" in this list of the malware it covers ;)
    Relevant posts both here and here.

3. Nigel B

Nigel B Registered Member

Thank you for your help, Blackcat.

Regards

Nigel

4. controler

controler Guest

Another suggestion would be to install AnyDVD, if all you are going to do is listen. It installs a "driver" between your OS and your player recorder.

Oh sorry that is for DVD's his cloneCD works for music or games.

controler

5. zoned

zoned Registered Member

Rootkits are ever evolving. As soon as someone finds a way of hiding files someone else finds a way of finding the hidden files.
    Each vector of attack is of a specified expert nature, e.g. Blue Pill to hacker defender. The profits for the users of rootkits who hide malware is too great. For a criminal to have a piece of spyware exist on millions of PC's for even an extra day, because a rootkit is hiding it, is well worth the trouble and quiet profitable.
    I have found that it is still early in the whole rootkit saga and there is no-one in particular who is tacking the problem.:(

There is a site called antirootkit.com that has a list of the latest antirookit software, if you have a rootkit you will find out from here.

Pointers to rootkit elimination and preventon include:
    1. Use different types of rootkit detectors/revealers ( each type of revealer has a particular expert behind it).
    2. If you have tried a few antivirus and antispyware packages and your problem still exists try an antirootkit package. You may be surprised.:mad:
    3. Use anti rootkit prevention software to stop rootkits from getting on to your PC in the first place.
    4. If you still have a problem post your symptoms to a forum and you might have your rooitkit! problem sorted.
    regards
    Zoned

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

anydvd does work for cds as well but i wouldnt reccemend anydvd cos i tryed it once and one startup it had a conflict with spysweeper and made startup so slow like it was almost malware

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

8. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Thanks for the link, Longboard.....that was indeed a very interesting read.

I will say this...that Spanner has some guts, that's for sure :blink: :eek: :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.