Can anyone suggest anything to stop my freeze ups?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by Straight Shooter, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sometimes, when doing an on demand scan with NOD32, the system freezes up totally, requiring me to reboot. It does this regularly, especially after the computer's been running for a while.. After I cold restart, then NOD32 will finish a complete system scan. I have heard this is a problem others have had too... (I can't remember when or where). I think it's registry based. I used to use jv16 tools but just switched to RegSeeker. I have Win XP Home. I noticed that NOD32 is the only AV that does this to my computer. Is there anyone that can suggest how I can stop this? I got rid of ZAPRO, thinking this caused the freeze up soemhow (I replaced it with Kerio, and IE Clean), and the problem persist. When I try out a software product or delete a software product, I usually just reclone my computer to the state BEFORE that software installed.. Also, I have noticed, that it doesn't happen to a collegue of mine, who just purchased NOD32 yesterday, and she has Wiin XP Home too... However, when I installed other av software, just to try it out, their scanner didn't do this.. When I installed the beta (long gone now), the beta did that too.... I have it set up to scan all files, and deep heuristics everywhere.
    If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them...

If it is registry based, may I ask, what would ESET recommend for an all around registry cleaner...o_O

Thanks,
    Shooter..

2. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

It sounds to me more like "something" is conflicting with NOD32 in memory than a registry hiccup. At the moment I'm running the current release version. I haven't had any NOD32-related freezes in all the years I've been using it ... but I've run the current beta (and several previous betas) for long periods, also with no freezes.

I must ask the obvious question here ... are you running Norton Crashguard or anything similar ? So-called "crash preventers" and "RAM managers/boosters/speedups" are notorious for causing memory problems,

(I switched to Outpost Pro from ZAPro a couple of months ago, btw, on my partner Paolo's recommendation (he's the Italian distributor) ... and I like it so much that I will be taking on distribution of the program in Australia very soon.)

3. Rod, the only thing Norton on my computer is Ghost... The cloning program... I don't have anything else Norton...LOL...and even so, I have Acronis True Image cloning, the version I have needs Ghost to work...

The only reason I thought it may be the registry is because of the following...

1. It only causes a computer freeze when I do my daily On Demand scan...

2. It seemed to have gone away when I switched to jv16 for a while. I did not like the new upgrade that just got released because it disabled my cd burner, and I use that probably 5 times a day for my "real job"...LOL...
    I had jv keep a registry backup, so I restored and rebooted, then installed regseeker.. In that short time I used jv16.. the freeze ups were substantially reduced...
    It doesn't make any sense, does it..

Coincidentially, I am a registered user of both Outpost Pro and Zapro.. I liked Outpost Pro, but I wanted to keep them both to decide which one I would keep the year after.. Zapro 3.5169 signifigantly was fixed over the initial 3.0 release, that's why I went to Outpost Pro...But I had the NOD freeze up with either firewall installed.. I also want to stress that I had made a clone of my computer BEFORE I installed any firewall or NOD, so if I decide to switch to Outpost after using ZAPRO, I use the clone to bring my computer back to the No security state, then I install NODa and the firewall of choice..

I am attaching a picture of running apps, if that will help anyone to help me..

I know this is not NOD32 specific. I have seen NOD32 on 6 other computers, (friends and co workers) and my computer is the only one that "hiccups"...It runs beautifully on all those other computers..

I may buy another computer anyway.. I have been thinking of selling mine and getting a Dell..

Also, in terms of firewalls, I probably will go to Outpost..

Right now, I am using Kerio combined with IEClean.. It stll hiccups, so I don't thnk it is firewall related ...

Thanks for your repsonse...

PS.. I have Win XP, Athlon Processor, 512 k memory...Compaq Presario 715US Laptop...

PPS.. I noticed that the scanner freezes and the whole computer freezes at mostly when it hits the Windows directory.. mostly C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
    I can't take a screenshot of this because it freezes the whole computer and I have to cold reboot the computer...

Attached Files:

4. Now this is comical..

I uninstalled Regseeker..

I installed Regcleaner by Vouni

I reinstall NOD32 twice..

No freezeups...

I will monitor for a couple of days..

It really may be a registry problem...

5. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

> Rod, the only thing Norton on my computer is Ghost... The cloning program... I don't have anything else Norton...LOL...and even so, I have Acronis True Image cloning, the version I have needs Ghost to work...

I've had Ghost since long before Symantec had it ... the old DOS-only version ... still the only way to go IMO. I would never create an image from within Windows.

> I know this is not NOD32 specific. I have seen NOD32 on 6 other computers, (friends and co workers) and my computer is the only one that "hiccups"...It runs beautifully on all those other computers..

Yeah it has me a little baffled too. "Something" is not right on your PC.

> PPS.. I noticed that the scanner freezes and the whole computer freezes at mostly when it hits the Windows directory.. mostly C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
    I can't take a screenshot of this because it freezes the whole computer and I have to cold reboot the computer...

If the scanner finds a corrupted font which is loaded in memory, it could barf. I guess the Eset Gnomes can tell you more about these conflicts ... all I know is "They happen!" :)

6. I am going to just keep scanning the Windows\fonts directory for now. It could be all over soon, though, because I am in the process of considering to replace this laptop and buying a new one.. If it freezes at Windows\fonts, whats should I do? Should I zip and send the whole directory to someone.. ? Should I make a list of all the files and send those..? WHich Gnome should I send it too? Lol..
    Thanks Rod.. ;) :D :D

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Straight Shooter,

Sorry for butting in.
    Maybe you could remove some: http://www.styopkin.com/useful_knowledges_about_fonts.html
    If you're planning on getting another one, anyway. Why not?

Regards,

Pieter

8. Why do you think you're butting in? I need ALL the help I can get! :D

Anyways, I think I solved my own problem. After I did one (1) registry cleanup with Regcleaner, I have done 7 total NOD32 scans. Not one freeze up...yet.. I will still monitor this.. Maybe on my system alone there is a registry conflict..

Only the Man Upstairs Knows for Sure!
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.