Bye Bye DDS & OSS hello BING & Vista Dual Boot!!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Batfink, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

Acronis only have themselves to blame.. theyve been ditched!!!! There are many softwar developers making available software to work with Vista, afterall, its been no big secret!!! Get it out before the competition does to gain market share... oh no, not acronis!!!

As to why they couldnt have a OSS solution for Vista.. which although not officially retailing yet, lucky beta testers and msdn customers do have thier own versions, myself one of them!!!

What is rather odd, is that I was able to multi boot Vista and 2 other XPs fine with the pre-rtm release, but not with the official, for some reason...o_O

Anyway, I was determined to find something that would do the trick, an although not as "pretty" as OSS, BootIt Next Generation has come to my aid, and does exactly what I need!!!

I now have a multidisk system, with Vista, XP Pro & XP64 all happily living together, completely unaware of each other existance, and multi-booting in perfect harmony!!! However, I would advise its not for the average user, as its configuration is more hands on, and you must setup and configure partitions manually... but the end result is just what I was after!!!

I will be keeping an eye to see what Acronis have to offer in the new year, but to be honest, OSS isnt the most flexible of utilities, if its not done their way, it simply cant be done at all.. and I dont like that approach, Ive not usead any of the so called "features" OSS had to offer, as they seemed rather pointless - and as a simple boot manager, it has now just failed with flying colours!!!

BootIt works at the low level of disk/partition structure, so really, it doesnt matter what OS or file system the partitions are made of, it simply doesnt care!!!

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Batfink:

I have to agree that OSS leaves a lot to be desired. Of all of the partitioning utilities that I've used though, DD10 is my favorite because of the ability to not only edit partitions but also to view files and edit files in either NTFS or FAT or the various Linux filesystems, and the built-in low-level hex disk editor. Those are killer features but OSS is a feature that I simply ignore.

For me GRUB does everything that I need for multi-booting. It sounds like BING is equally versatile.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    DDS, OSS?
    Mrk

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I believe it's Acronis
    OSS - operating system selector
    DDS - disk director suite

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Yeah, sorry:oops: This was originally posted in the Acronis Disk Director Suite forum where the abbreviations were in common use. Dang acronyms!

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LOL, you got it! :thumb:
    To me BING is beeyootiful.
    Does it all with no fuss, no problem, the essence of almost perfect industrial design. Like a scalpel: does exactly what it is meant to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.