Buying new PC- help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kathyhl, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

Hi everyone, I have to buy a new PC, and will be looking in my Consumer Reports for what they have to say, but would also like any input I can get from here. I also have another question they cannot answer. I will be buying a new PC which will of course come with the XP disc. My husband has WinME that has a corrupted registry. Can I use the XP disc I get with mine to put on his and overwrite all his programs (which he doesn't use, so that's no problem) but then am I still going to be looking at a corrupted registry, or will XP overwrite that also? Sorry if that sounds a bit stupid. I've tried to learn as much as I can, but apparently not the biggest, which is what to do with his registry. I'm thinking the XP disc I get will just be mainly software and won't take care of his problem, and if that's the case, what else is the best way to go without having to buy 2 new PC's? We both usually just use this one, but it would be nice if I could get his running for him again. Also, I've been externally backing up everything from my PC that will need to go on the new PC, is there anything else I will need to do before the change?

Thank you all for any help you can give me.

Kathy

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Kathyhl :)

I moved your thread to Software and Services for better attention. ;)

snowbound

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Most of the time you don't get an xp install disc. You will most likely get a restore disc, and it will not work on any comp except the one it came with. and it is illegal to use a windows install disc on more than one computer unless you buy a multiple use liscense.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Kathylh,

Like BigC said, unfortunately, WindowsXP requires activation so it will only work on one computer. The computer that you buy will probably have XP preinstalled, so you won't have a choice which computer to put it on. Nowadays, (because of M$ marketing tactics) you can't even buy a PC without windows being preinstalled. The only way to have it not preinstalled is if you build it yourself and buy everything separate. Also, most new computers come with an OEM version of XP that doesn't let you upgrade, only full new install.

Good luck with your new computer. Do a LOT of research. Decide what you really need it for now and in the future and buy accordingly. Unless you need the ultimate game machine (and have money to burn), buy at least 6 months behind the leading edge of technology. Not only will you save a bunch of money, but most of the new bleeding edge problems will have been worked out.
    Read reviews and related articles: Toms hardware, Anandtech, PC Week, PC world, Computer Shopper, epinions, resellerratings, and newegg.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I didn't build my pc but had it built. I have the xp disc and activated several times due to "errors" on my part. I changed video cards and had no problem activating. The disc is tied to this computer forever.

The advantage of having a computer built locally is your warranty is as close as the local shop. And, it is usually cheaper.

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI Kathy....

I dont care what PC you buy, what hardware, just make sure it HAS THE DARN DISC. :)

I've always had my PC's built and actually 'bought' W95/W2K PRO now XP PRO and having the disc for each was a criteria I learnt early on.
    Sure you have a 'rescue disc' but that's nowhere near the same.

It's *your* PC, you bought it, you *bought* the OS so why can't you have a disc. Insist on it, regardless of what a salesperson may say. Yep, you may pay more, but get it. [Just MY opinion :)]

As to putting it on your husband's PC, strictly speaking it's a one shot deal per PC as the others have already stated, but if you have to "reinstall", on your PC well.......you have the disc to do it. ;)
    Not having to rely on getting it at a later date if some really bad happens like a HDD crashes.

I've had that happen to me once, my HDD crashed, not recoverable, what good was a stupid "rescue" disc to me then, none.
    Had to get new HDD, had full OS disc, reinstalled, and away I went again.

Forget about re-activation if you ever have to, that's easily done by ringing MS office in your State/Country. Once again, if you paid for it, you can darn well install it as many times as you like on your PC.
    Even if you get totally new components again at a later date in an upgrade for your box, like I did with my W2K PRO, you will have the OS.

Cheers, TAS

PS: Forgot to add, Ronjor made a very valid point, my PC shop is local, great service, no need to "send" something away to 'test' if faulty, they usually have what they call 'full inhouse warranty' on parts, if something faulty, the local shop replaces it themselves, and then claims the part back from the manufacturer. No need for your PC to be 'returned' to some capital city, etc. and waiting days/weeks, while they "test" only to have to replace it anyway.

7. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

Thank you all so much for your input, and not surprisingly, quite a few of the store personnel I talked to told me quite a few things you all did, with the first questions always being "are you into lots of games because that will make a big difference". I've done lots of research with talking to people, reading consumer reports and two great issues of PC World and PC magazine, ect. My main issue was I really didn't want to lose everything I have collected over the years I've had both my PC's, but I have been externally backing up everything I could think of, knowing I would still lose so much. I have seen so many awesome new PC's in the last week, and as you all can imagine, most of the prices match how awesome they are. I finally winded up going to a very reputable PC place here where they would build me what I wanted thus being able to save "some" of my programs, but of course still not all. He then said there was no reason for me to lose what I wanted if I really didn't want to update to XP right now, and as he had the Win98 disc, he would re-install my Win98, keeping all the programs, for just over $100. This guy was such a nice guy! So next weekend I will be taking my pc in for him to fix. I then asked him about my husbands ME, and he told me as long as we still had the disc, he would tell me how to re-install it. Well, I am here to tell you I have just now finished re-installing my husbands ME, and believe it or not, it actually kept his programs! I don't know why, but I thought it would overwrite all of them. At any rate, being as I had my PC built 3 years ago, I don't have the Win98 disc, just a rescue disc, and how right you are Tas, not a thing I can do with that!

I didn't really think I would be able to just buy a new PC and be able to use a disc from that on another PC, but because I had never asked that question before, I wanted to know for sure. But before I asked it, Logic was telling me that if that was possible, then these companies wouldn't be making the $ they are. It also did occur to me that might fall under a catagory that would be legally frowned upon ;) .

Once again, thanks, you've all been so great. There's many places I wouldn't go and ask questions that I thought might appear ignorant, or just blatanally dumb........keeping in mind....."rather appear stupid than open my mouth and remove all doubt", but in here so many people have so much patience with everyone that has questions.

Kathy

8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

That's great news Kathy about your PC, etc. Bet you are one happy camper :D

Well, you will have to let us know when you get your "new" PC back.

Cheers, TAS

9. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

;) Kathyhl, I've just done what you are trying to do. Everything said previously about disc's is true. Insist strongly. For many OS's that are preloaded the "seller" has a multiple license for a given number of copies. 10 - 100 or more. They can legally load that program that many times before their supposed to stop. They can make you a copy and put it with your machine. Also..
    :cool: If the two machines are network capable you can transfer everything from one to the other. Except as I just found out too late, your mail program stuff... the folders with all your links and shortcuts... I lost everything including attached files, addresses, buddies, you name it it is gone. That never before ever seemed to be important until I went to get some attached files and found them all missing. :'(
    Boy was I disturbed! :doubt:

10. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

This new computer which i brought in March this year, is not bad, but I plan to upgrade the RAM to let XP have more memory for all my programs.
    Actually at my local computer store, I wanted to buy another new computer, the other new computer was similar to this one i currently have, but the other new computer had pentium 4 with hyper threading technology. That computer's price was almost the same as this computer's price, but, as my dad did not have enough money to afford the other com with HT technology, i eventually decided to buy this new computer without the HT.
    This new computer that i currently have is an excellent performer too. Well, another new computer with HT technology, guess i can only get it in the future...
    I'm just one boy who can't resist new and leading-edge computers.

11. idonno

idonno Guest

Believe me you wont notice any difference between P4 and P4HT. I spent a lot of money changing from this to that and now I see my P4HT_3.2MHz is below bar compared with my previous P4_2.6MHz.the later is faster. And one more word for those memory sticks regardless what compatibility charts says, buy the same memory sticks already in your puter. I have more than 4 sticks on the shelves because they make the puter unstable although they are recommenced by the manufacturer. Also, do a memory read/write by downloading Everest home edition (not pro)
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html
    and choose “bench mark” .

12. Devinco

Just my opinion, but I notice a HUGE difference with P4 HT (Hyper Threading).
    For example, when you do a TDS-3 Process Memory Space scan (you know, the slow one), with a regular cpu it will use about 100% CPU.
    With Hyper Threading, it acts like 2 CPUs. So with the same Process memory space scan, it only takes 50% CPU. :cool:

I have read about many people having compatibility issues with HT turned on. I have not experienced any of these issues. Overclocking can also cause stability issues with HT. Also, poor quality RAM can cause problems.

The Dual channel versus single channel RAM issue is different. It is recommended to have matched pairs of RAM (same brand, speed) that have been tested to match each other when going Dual channel. Try to use as few RAM sticks as possible, it will reduce the chances of compatibility issues.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  13. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

But I suspect the task will take longer to complete with the CPU running at 50%. In a perfect world, the CPU would run at 100% when performing a complex task, with the BUS and RAM being the limiting factors. That's why Intel and AMD no longer promote CPU core speed as the primary benchmark for gauging performance. Don't get me wrong. Number crunching still counts. However, you need big pipes to move a lot of data in/out of the CPU.

14. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

my tiny 2 cents worth - most purchased computers tend to come loaded with crapware. i had my computer built for me, all CD's came with it plus a better warranty than stores give. I have never regretted it. custom computers are built to your needs and specs. i would take this route again if it became necessary. :)

15. Devinco

Two pipes are better than one. I don't know all the little details how they do HT, but it works.
    On a regular CPU and you open Task Manager (performance tab), it shows only one CPU Usage History graph. With HT, there are two graphs.
    Running the TDS-3 Process memory space scan, one of the CPU (Hyperthread) graphs is about 75-80%. The other graph is about 20%. The CPU Usage guage stays about 50-58% during the whole process. It takes the same amount of time as without HT to complete the scan, but I can easily continue to work with about 50% CPU left during the scan. I know it is not a big deal, but it is basically like having 2 CPUs when you only payed for one. And I can continue to work where normally I would have to wait.
    So that's why I would get it with HT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.