Burning backups to multiple DVDs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Nazgulled, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Registered Member

I've read about the problems TI as burning to some DVD media and I also know about the span DVD problem.

But, suppose I create my backup (the tib files) to my hard drive and I choose the option to split in files of 4.7Gb. I then burn each file to some dvds with Nero.
    After that, whenever I decide to restore the system, I reboot into the "Bootable Rescue Media" that I created previously to a CD.

In this way, will I have the same problems as reported in the other topics? Meaning, after booting, will I be able to remove the rescue media cd, place the backup dvds in the drive and see the files on the DVD? (and afterwards select them to restore the system of course...)

2. Dort

Dort Registered Member

I have used the method you are describing many times and it has always worked perfectly. I have used Roxio 7. 5 to burn the images to DVDs and have never had a failure restoring them. I usually have two DVD's in my archives, but I split the images at 3.5 or 4 GB to ensure they can be burned to DVDs. When you check or restore the images you must start with the last DVD in the set. I doubt you can burn the images if you split them at 4.7 GB.

Dort

3. Nazgulled

"I doubt you can burn the images if you split them at 4.7 GB."

You mean tib files right? And what do you mean with the last? After pressing the recover option to select the tib file I have to start with the last created/burned?

4. Dort

Dort Registered Member

I meant *.tib files. To check or restore, you must insert the disk containing the last *.tib file created when the files were split. Hope this makes sense.

5. Nazgulled

actually it doesn't lol... I mean, look at zip files, you compress some files, then to unpack, you start with the first one, not the last...

6. kenjan

kenjan Registered Member

I split at 4.2GB (because I use cheap media and I don't trust the edges :D ) and then burn with Nero using UDF format (ISO is limited to 2GB files; works fine also, just more files).
    The last .tib must contain an index, I'd guess.
    Each .tib is considered a "volume". Doing my backups to hard drive and then burning DVDs has worked fine for restoring -- except for the early builds of ATI 9 -- for me, anyway.
    To summarize the restore: boot from the rescue CD; remove CD (True Image is fully loaded, running on Linux in memory I believe); insert the DVD containing the last .tib; etc.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.