burned DVDs cannot be read in Window 98

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dbknox, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I found this statement in the manual for TI "- DVD burning is not supported in Windows 98/Me, burned DVDs cannot be read in Windows 98/Me."
    I did an image to my second hard drive and then burned the image files to DVD using Nero. I can restore a single file from my hard drive but not from the dvd using the "recovery" mode in TI 9.0. build 3677
    Is there a way to do this with WIN98 ? Once I get this working I will be content with my copy of TI.

Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)
    1.73 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V8X-X REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1006 08/06/2003
    99.27 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    79.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

AOPEN DUW1608/ARR [CD-ROM drive]
    HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B [CD-ROM drive]
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

FUJITSU MPE3173AE [Hard drive] (17.34 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 05003734, rev EE-C0-23, SMART Status: Healthy
    Maxtor 6Y080L0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y25MR8CE, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy
    1022 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DDR 1' has 512 MB
    Slot 'DDR 2' has 512 MB
    Slot 'DDR 3' is Empty
    c: (on drive 0) 81.94 GB 72.69 GB free
    d: (on drive 1) 17.33 GB 6.90 GB free

2. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

There seems to be very few win 98se users on this forum I get no replies.
    I am now back to square one..... I can't even do an image to my second hard drive. TI freezes my computer when I get to the last window and hit "proceed" and I have to reboot.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My only guess, and that is all it is, is that you have a large files which caused Nero to use UDF and the UDF version is greater than 2.01. TI can't read UDF later than that. When you run from the rescue disk Win98 is out of the picture. I take it this is what you mean by recovery mode.

If this is the case can you re-burn the files but at an earlier UDF version?

If you split the image files under 2000MB then they can be written in ISO which is more compatible with various systems. I use 1492 MB which puts 3 tib files on a DVD.

4. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thanks seekforever, for your response, I see your name on a lot of threads and notice that you give a lot of good advice to others and I appreciate all the help I can get.
    I did my image at 2 gigs and burned iso files with Nero, I will use your numbers next time (1492) that way I'll fit more on a dvd.
    I am very amazed that I suddenly can't copy another image to my second hard drive. I made a new folder and tried to copy the image to it with just a few files and my computer froze ( I had to reboot using ctrl-alt-del) I tried this as a full, incremental and my computer still froze each time, I then tried to copy an image the same way that I was sucessful with the first time and my computer froze up. Is it not possible to burn an image to a folder?
    I was hoping I could do this then I can keep an older known and not bloated image for emergencies and do incrementals of a few files only that I regularly change and need backups of.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are you saying you cannot copy tib files from a DVD to your second HD?

Can you copy tib files to your other HD?

Have you tried running scandisk with whatever option causes it to check the entire structure, surface etc?

What about copying other non-TI files from CD/DVD to HD?

There is nothing magic about a TI .tib file other than they tend to be big.

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

If you intend to use the system for any length of time, upgrade to Win 2000 or Win 98.

7. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Hi again seekforever; What I am saying that I can't do an Image from my main hard drive to my second ( backup) hard drive. The first time I downloaded build 3677 I did an image with no problem, but I am unable to do a second image to a different folder in that same "backup" hard drive. My computer just freezes and I have to reboot ( ctrl,alt,del) to get up and running again. I have no problem burning the July 8 Image results to/from DVD.
    I had a major problem with my computer this morning and could not boot-up I used all the normal "rescue tactisc" I could think of restoring to an old registry etc. and nothing worked I did a recovery with the Image that I was successful with on July 8 2006 and I was up and running in a matter of minutes. That sure made me happy! But I am still wondering why I can't do an Image again even after "repairing" TI. Acronis support asked me to make a "report text" and that is even worse.... I have to "cold' reboot the computer after attempting to run it. I do get a text file on my desktop.... I don't know if it is complete though.
    I do a disk check and defrag at least once a week and when I had this trouble I did the "through" test all tested good.

Howard Kaikow
    If you intend to use the system for any length of time, upgrade to Win 2000 or Win 98.
    Did you mean Win 2000 or XP !!!
    I along with thousands of others I believe that win 98se was probably the best operating system that Microsoft has offered so far. Once WIN 98 is tweaked it is very stable and not bloated like WIN 2000. I admit that I will have to update soon. I have been waiting for "VISTA" and I am not getting any younger waiting. ( VISTA Talk about bloated).

8. Howard Kaikow

I guess so.

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I have requested version 8.0 from Acronis and they have supplied me with a link to download it. It is much smaller then version 9.0 so I downloaded using dial-up and I will be trying it out in the near future. I am very pleased with the way Acronis does their best to help us out and the fast response they give when contacted. I hope I have more luck with version 8.0 ( I am sure I will). From the way I was able to get window 98 up and running using the image that I had successfully copied to my second hard drive, I have no qualms about recommanding this fine software to anybody who will listen.
    Thanks to all you people on this forum for your help and guidance, on this thread and others. ( I am sure I will be back looking to pick your brains again)

10. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Well I tried version 8 with the same results, It would still freeze my computer when trying to image to my second "internal" hard drive. I could not figure out how I had been successfuk with the one image I had made with 9.0.3677 I tried to copy an image using my rescue disk and viola no problem.
    I then uninstalled version 8 and reinstalled version 9.0.3677 and imaged using the rescue disk and once again it went smooth as can be. Obviously there is something wrong with my operating system, but I will just keep using the rescue disk to copy images. One day I will either have to purchase Vista (sigh) or reload WIN 98se.

11. Howard Kaikow

It is very unlikely that a system running Win 98 will be able to support Vista.

Get rid of Win 98 and get Win 2000 or Win XP, both are far superior to Win 98 and you'll have problems with apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.