BullGuard 7.0 Released (Bitdefender+Outpost)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ianlai, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

although in a previous thread i said id never try this/...

well, here i am trying it :eek:

and to be fully honest, it aint too bad, not too bad at all :D

its lacking a bit of options, but i dont really know enough of the software itself. does it use the same engine as in bitdefender 10 with their HIVE heuristics? is the firewall outpost version 4?

i like how its all put into basically one screen, its more of a set it and forget it suite on my first impressions, more for novices who dont like all the options and configurations, of which i really like.

2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Under the Antivirus Protection, I checked Enable heuristics and I scheduled the My Computer Scan and I think that is just about it. Haven't fooled with the bakup page yet but will do that soona and schedule daily backups probably.

Yes, not as many options but enough for me and my wife to use without it bothering us to much i Think. great interface!

Gary

3. yaggy

yaggy Registered Member

Tried Bullguard, deleted it soon after it denined access to my router.
    It also uses quite a bit of memory.

Process: BullGuard Main Service;BullGuard File Scan Service;BullGuard Email Monitoring Service
    File: svchost.exe

Process: BullGuard Firewall Service
    File: svchost.exe

Process: BullGuard
    File: bullguard.exe

Process: BullGuard LiveUpdate
    File: BullGuardUpdate.exe

Thats a total of 75.1 -- Pathetic

In task maneger, the top 2 procceses will show as svchost.exe tricking you into thinking its using less mem that it actually is.
    If you use a better "task manager" program like "Advanced Task Manager, it will show the true amount of resourses Bullcrap errrr Bullguard actually uses.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no disrespect to bullguard, a little too basic for me.

but i do LIKE this software so far, not really fully tested it ... but it does perform good and seems to work seemlessy, so far... another suite i would recommend.

i do like the new avg suite though and according to IBK, its greatly improved.

well if its improved on 91%, cant be too bad eh?

and one site said it got 95% for a test that included nearly 300,000 malware samples and apparently its now improved, i expect great things from avg suite, runs very well with my laptop, better than any other ive tried.

but i really dont understand the ram usage of bullguard, even though it feels quite light on the system, it shouldnt be using 70 - 80mb as bitdefender full suite uses 6.6mb and outpost 4 just 6mb, where does the rest come from?

------------
    to answer lodore, no it doesnt have http scanning ... i asked bullguard themselfs.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks.

i still prefer kaspersky and antivir.

antivir new interface in the RC1 beta is great but so is kaspersky.

6. kai666

kai666 Registered Member

was offered the 20% discount, but it messed up, and charged full price, so i get a choice of a refund or the 20% or 6 months free subscription at the end. I think the 6 months extra will be better value!

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think so to!

8. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Hi!

About the resource usage. BG 7.0 DOES use some resources, BUT it does not slow down my system (AMD 3200+, 1 GIG RAm) like other suites do.

I have tried FIS 2007, KIS 6.0, NIS 2007, McAfee IS 2007, Symantec Client Security 3.x and F-Secure Client Security 6.x.

So I am pretty happy with BG 7.0. Their chat support is instant and excellent.
    AV, Spyware and firewall protection should be good enough too. :p

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the odd thing is i have the same spec pc as you 3200 and 1gb of ram IMO.

how did kis run on that pc?
    e.g. fast/slow startup?
    little/alot of cpu?
    slow down pc or not?
    lodore

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i would agree with this, its great software ... it really is.

depends on personal preferance if you decide to get a subscribtion here, it doesnt slow the machine down, the thing i dont understand is how it is using all that ram with bitdefender and outpost in their suite.

11. Technic

KIS did pretty good job too (I consider KIS unfinished product ATM). There were few things I did not like:

Browsing the WEB was slower and high CPU usage when downloadig with full speed like 20Mbit/sec. Also KIS has very stealthy stealth option, sometimes i got disconnected from the net. :p

Slow startup for me, shutting down normally. These are only my SUBJECTIVE feelings. Feel free to try KIS. :D

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im gonna try kav with comodo.

but i will wait till MP1 no point in trying it intill then.

13. huntnyc

Technic, i agree with you that bullGuard does not slow down my laptop at all. It may use somewhat more ram but my machine runs smoothly. i went back and put the AVG trial on and noticed a little differencem maybe a little faster or "feels" a little faster but still not enough for me to switch at this point. But, if I decide to do so before 30 days is up, BullGuard offers a no risk guarantee.

For now, being able to install on 3 computers, good antivirus and firewall, excellent support, backup utility and machine running smoothly will keep me here until I am moved by something that Is markedly better for my system. Thanks again for all the feedback in this thread.

Gary

14. huntnyc

Don't want to eat my words but I am noticing a little bit more slowdown that I thought with BullGuard. Will have to keep an eye on it. it is not too bad but definitely Avira, AVG and NOD32 feel somewhat snappier to me at this point. Again, good they have guarantee and hopefully honor it if needed.

Gary

15. adi200

adi200 Registered Member

I agree with lodore 34.99 GBP is not a lot of money for A Great ISS and 1000mb of on-line storage fantastic customer support its 68p a day thats cheaper than a newspaper and a mars bar!!! lol the on-line storage alone makes it worth it's money

16. huntnyc

As I run BullGuard more, whatever memory it is using now seems to really not slow down my machine as much as i think when i compare to others. Right now, this memory usage seems a wash to me since i am no gamer and with all the other benfits of the program, still fits for me at this time.

Gary

17. huntnyc

Although I liked a lot of things about BullGuard 7, I really want something that runs a little lighter. For now, back to old setup of NOD32, Comodo, Evido 4, and Spyware Terminator running around 55 MB altogether with Evido running at about 29 MB. Thanks for tip about Advanced Task manager, good program.

So, will it be wait for NOD32, AVG 7.5 suite or Antivir Suite that is developing various modules. Thanks guys.

Gary

18. huntnyc

I don't want to take this thread toward other programs so I will make similar comments in an appropriate thread.

Gary

19. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I installed the trial version of Bullguard today. I like it. Easy to configure, and it doesn't slow down my computer. One of the better suites I've tried.

20. Technic

Indeed. :p About the resource usage (again), I bet BD and OPP will use much more memory than few megs (like all the others do). You must identify ALL their processes, even the "hidden ones", fex. svchost.exe ones. :p

I am personally using Advanced Task Manager, which is pretty good.:thumb:

21. huntnyc

Tchnic, I agree with you, the resource usage for me is not worth ditching the program. Too many other pluses regarding the program to pass it up. Will stick with this one and am glad to have it. Thanks.

Gary

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i never ever go of resource usage, but more about how it performs on my machine.

some software, maybe 100mb ram will run just as good, if not better on a machine than one that uses just 10mb ram.

23. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Just installed BullGuard. I'm a fan of this. I have couple of questions and it takes only 45sec and live support is ready to answer me. Now I wait email so I get 20% discount. This is first program that I ever buyed.

24. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Are you Turk or Chinese:D . Just kidding...:D

25. Technic

Well done Mike! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.