Building USB boot/image options

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Capp, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I am new to the product line and want to make sure I do everything correct.

I am going to be using a USB Flash Drive to boot from and store the image on.

So, my question is....what do I do to make sure the flash drive is bootable and be able to store the image on it? Do I make it a bootable drive first and then store the image on it after it is created? Do, I boot to the device and then create the image and save it on there? Do I need to format the device in any special way? etc..

Thank you :)

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Capp,

First I want to note to create the bootable flash drive, the data will be wiped out and reformatted. Make sure you've backed up before doing so. The minimum size flash drive you need is 128MB.

You can choose to between making a Linux/DOS or a WinPE bootable flash drive. Generally, if you plan to use this on a workstation with non-raid components, Linux/DOS is the recommended method. WinPE offers extended support for raid controllers and new hardware provided you have the drivers.

To create the USB bootable flash drive: go to Tools > Recovery Media Builder > select "Flash Memory" > choose "Typical" if for standard image.

Once you've created the flash drive, the flash drive is now bootable and ready to use. You can save any archives or backup files onto that bootable drive for your convenience if you have the capacity.

WinPE is included with the Professional/Server editions. To create the WinPE bootable drive, log into your Paragon account, download the WinPE Recovery CD, run and extract the ISO file to a location. Go to Tools > Recovery Media Builder > select "Flash Memory" > and select "User specific CD/DVD image". I'd like to note that you can include the drivers into the image with an ISO program: \program files\paragon software\[Paragon Product]\iso\bootcd.iso

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.