Build 903 vs 826 Speed & Errors

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bobdat, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Here's a summary of some strange behavior that maybe someone can shed some thoughts on....

1) I have a new Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, PM 760 2GHz, 512MB RAM, Windows XP Pro, SP2, all current updates.
    2) I also have a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop, P4 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM, Windows XP Pro, SP2, all current updates.
    3) I have an external 2.5" 60GB USB2 hard drive in a CompUSA enclosure.
    4) All my hardware and software runs perfectly, as far as I can tell.
    5) I constantly monitor the Windows Event Viewer for system errors and application errors. Everything runs error free except as reprted below.
    6) I have TrueImage 8 build 826 installed on my hard drive.
    7) I have burned both 826 and 903 boot CD's.
    :cool: I created a BartPE CD for the Inspiron 6000 with the TI 791 plugin.

Here's what I find when using various builds and combinations of TrueImage 8:

A) I can install build 826 on either machine and run with no system errors.

B) If I restore a fresh Dell image to either laptop and then install build 903, I get one round of major system errors after restarting from shutdown. After one additional restart, the errors don't repeat. However, occasionally I get a "can't write to memory location" error upon restart or shutdown after the screen shows "Windows is saving your settings".

Speed Issues:

C) On the i6000, build 826 and 903 boot CD's are seriously slow for cloning, imaging and restoring.
    D) On the i6000, the BartPE CD with the TI8 plugin is fast in all operations.
    E) On the i5160, build 826 boot CD is fast for all operations. Build 903 is seriously slow for all operations.

The difference between fast and seriously slow is:
    F) Clone/create/restore image of 40GB drive with 10 GB data takes approximately 10 minutes - that's fast to me.
    G) The same operations take approximately 2 hours when 'seriously slow' as indicated above.

It's obvious to me that the Linux drivers used in builds after 826 got slower on my i5160. No builds are fast on my i6000.

Running either 826 or 903 (from the hard drive) and restarting from Windows doesn't change the speed of operations. It's obvious to me that TI8 is still loading Linux drivers after the restart, not Windows drivers. I can live with the speed issues. I solved them on the i6000 by using the BartPE CD and I run 826 on the i5160.

But, I can't understand the round of system errors I get with build 903. I don't see them with 826. Can anyone suggest why these errors get kicked out after installing 903? Thanks for any comments, suggestions or guesses.

PS: Acronis Tech Support, please don't ask me to create reports that require a floppy drive because I don't have one.

Thanks all.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It looks like you have discovered the problem with the current Linux USB 2 drivers. They only work at USB 1.1 speed on some hardware. Older Linux USB 2 drivers worked faster on some hardware, but I assume that they were replaced with the new drivers for compatibility reasons with new hardware. There's no fix until better drivers are available.

3. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

John - Do you know which build was the first to use "the current Linux USB 2 drivers" which "only work at USB 1.1 speed on some hardware"?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bobdat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I assume that this issue requires some investigation, so could you please create Acronis report and Windows system information (*.NFO file) for each of your laptops as it is described in Acronis Help Post?

Please keep your USB hard drive connected while creating these reports.

Please also note that this does not require the floppy drive to be installed in your PC.

Send these files to support@acronis.com (you can rename them to report_6000 .txt and report_5160 .txt, for example, and the same for the Windows system information files) along with the screen shots or the exact text of the error messages you have received. Please also provide us with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.