Build 173 + "Volume Shadow Copy" service Question?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Birdman, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I just updated to the latest FD-ISR Build 173 and upon the first copy/update of a snapshot.....I received a "Static Snapshot Error" message.

Then I tried to remove the 2 Snapshots that I have (and start clean) but I got some weird message. They were eventually removed but with multiple ERRORS in the process.

I noticed that I had the Volume Shadow Copy Service DISABLED.

From what I've read...this latest version of FD-ISR needs this service to be running, correct?

Is the "Static Snapshot Error" related to this service being disabled...or is it another issue?

I currently have the Volume Shadow Copy service set to MANUAL. Is this fine or is it recommended to have it on AUTOMATIC?

Thanks.

2. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

i dont have volume shadow copy in my windows, i removed it. anyway theres a readme in the isr.app folder.

i use rss no probs here.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I only have experience with VSS in build 169, and with the service set on manual (default) it worked successfully.

4. Birdman

Does another Service depend on VSS or does it work independently?

I followed King FN Kong's suggestion and changed the FD-ISR service to RSS.

It worked well as I was able to create a Snapshot w/o getting any "static snapshot error" messages.

Does it matter if you use VSS or RSS with FD-ISR? Are there any advantages with one or the other?

5. wilbertnl

Windows backup relies on the VSS service. Other software that claim to be able to copy locked files may too.
    It doesn't matter which way you go with FD-ISR.
    VSS is implemented with the idea to rely more on Windows features than on third party add-ons.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi! what does RSS stand for?

Thanks.

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It doesn't need this service to run as you have the option of using RSS instead. VSS is set by default.

Todd explains RSS/VSS here - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=758198&postcount=12

8. Birdman

Does anyone know why the VSS service does not work for me? I take it that it's probably some settings issue with my system?

Is there a specific service or services that are REQUIRED to be running for VSS to work properly in XP? I have manually tweaked my system and DISABLED many "unnecessary" services. I'm thinking that I may have disabled a service (or two) that is required for VSS to work?

I just don't understand why VSS will not work with FD-ISR. Here's the log details:

-Starting Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS) for drive C
    -Error: AddToSnapshotSet: unknown error 0x8004230F
    -Error: could not start VSS

Anyone know what this means or better yet....how to FIX it? Thanks.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Ask Raxco's support for advice. :)

10. wilbertnl

Open Computer Management, click services, browse to Volume Shadow Copy and open it, click the tab dependencies and read that VSS depends on Remote Procdure Call (RPC).

http://www.geocities.com/wilbertnl/images/rpc.PNG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.