Bufferzone. What's going on?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I downloaded the free web browser version of Bufferzone, just to try. It's set to run with IE6. I opened the UI and it IS the free version. Many things are blocked, available only with pay version.

Okay, I've discovered that, at least on my machine, every single program I have can be opened and run in this free version of Bufferzone by right clicking on the desktop icon. Is that normal - not that I'm complaining. I expected to get only protection for my browser and ended up able to protect, apparently, everything that can go online, including Yahoo messenger. At least they all have the red border and Bufferzone says it's optimizing them for first run. Is this an added free bonus?

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hi Chuck57

Very good freebie isn't it. I've been running the home version beta for a few weeks and it is definitely one program i rely on. There are some bugs/improvements they're working on but it's definitely heading in the right direction. I've accumulated a few pieces of malware that i plan on installing in Bufferzone some time soon. This newest version of Bufferzone runs very smooth and no slowdown what so ever when surfing.

3. Chuck57

Excellent program, especially since I thought all I was getting, according to their site, was a version that would protect a single web browser. Instead that free web browser version can protect everything, including Opera browser, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, and all the programs in my program files including it seems Windows itself. It gives me the option of moving it into or out of the buffer zone. Haven't tried that. I'm not sure what would happen or if I could fix it if something did.

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

My advice to you to avoid any problems would be this. Except for IE6, anything that you've moved 'into' the Bufferzone, move it back 'out' before 'Cleaning the Bufferzone'. At first, i used the 'P2P free version' and moved Firefox into the Bufferzone and it worked great until i cleaned the Bufferzone without moving Firefox out. Had to re-install Firefox. Moved it out next time before cleaning, everything was fine.

Forgot to mention that in Home version, you can also select 'Bufferzone Desktop' which runs your entire C Drive/Partition in the Bufferzone. Haven't tried it yet though!.

5. Chuck57

Thanks for the advice. I haven't got to the point of adding anything to the Buffer zone. It loaded two files....Virtual and cookies. The cookies one is obvious; the other don't know what's in there. It says it has 27MB but there's nothing showing when I open it.

I've only downloaded one thing since starting with BZ and that was a BZ home beta I found on their forum. It wouldn't install, but no loss. I'm happy with what I've got. As I fool with it more, I'm sure I'll get daring and load some unimportant stuff into it just to see what happens.

Great program and I think the full version would be a nice Christmas gift. I'll have to give some hints to the wife.

6. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Since the 27th of September, I have been using version 1.90-11 of the free single application for InternetExplorer6 (have run Firefox from right-click a few times). Really like how it works on everything I have done with it.

My Virtual Folder [Read-only] now contains 280 files in 106 folders and totals 76.5MB, have never clicked "Empty BufferZone" and have no idea what the effect of that might be or when it should be done.

BufferZone seems to do an excellent job for me, so far. Have not upgraded to 2.1 on the principal of "if it ain't broke..." Earlier use of Sandboxie had not gone well on my system at all.

The BufferZone (GUI) Console says "Your version is up to date" and I only feel a need for it to protect IE anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.