Btrfs in Ubuntu Maverick as of now

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Trespasser, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Hello everyone,
    Yesterday at Ubuntu forums I learned that Grub2 could now recognize a btrfs partition and that btrfs is now available for testing if you use one of the latest Daily alternative builds...

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/

but you must choose the Manual method when you reach the partitioning section of the install. You must create a 500mb ext2 or ext3 /boot partition first followed by whatever you wish (/, /..home, etc., etc., etc.) using btrfs. I went through this procedure yesterday and all I can say is, as of now, btrfs really sucks. The install took at least 1 1/2 hours instead of the usual 15 to 20 minutes. Whenever I boot up I get an error "Unknown command 'recordfail'". My computer seems sluggish.

There's a good chance btrfs will not make it into Maverick (10.10) mainly because it's still so unstable. IMO, unless btrfs can compete successfully with ext4, for example, then it shouldn't be included. Putting up with a 1 1/2 hour install "might" turn-off a lot of people.

In all fairness, btrfs is still in its infancy and I'm sure things will improve...but as of now it's not a keeper. I'm going to CloneZilla my way back to normal computer here shortly.

BTW, Maverick seems quite stable. No crashes at all, but it's still early in the cycle. Ubuntu is suppose to release Alpha 2 tomorrow if they stick to their schedule. They're running a 2.6.35-6 kernel.

Later....

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Until its supported by the boot loader (Grub 2 at the moment) it won't even be considered as a default filesystem for Ubuntu.

Cheers, Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.