Browser Cold War

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I happen to prefer Bing.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

And you're welcome to use whatever you like. My only point is that it's an investment.

I agree to an extent. Javascript only came around because of Netscape and that's important. Browsers tend to push the standards and innovate new technologies but at the cost of breaking standards.

IDK. That's a big subject =p

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

So I am not misunderstood I also use Bing first, moving only to google if I was dissatisfied with the results. But it still doesn't make any money.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Fair enough, you make a good point.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm not arguing against standards at all, as I agree things would be God awful without them. I'm arguing against the browser devs deciding to do their own thing, and put more emphasis on supporting what they prefer rather than just making sure everyone has a good experience regardless of the browser they use or what they choose to do.

I think Google is fragmenting things a bit. They've recently started introducing "this works only/best in Chrome" and other stuff. That's not healthy, and honestly makes them look like MS previously did.

As far as Bing, planning to make money and actually making it are two different things. The money is just not really there for them yet, plans or not.

6. Hungry Man

Eh, the "this works best in chrome" thing isn't a big deal imo. The bigger deal is creating new languages.

Like I said, on the one hand it sucks when browser devs take standards into their own hands but it's also the driving force that brought us Javascript.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The big deal is that they are starting to build their websites around Chrome/using features only Chrome has/works better with. It's a "screw you" to those who prefer something else. That being said, it's nothing MS didn't do for years on end. I'm all for innovation, and if a vendor can come up with something that makes a huge impact, great. Just don't do it with your own product in mind.

8. Hungry Man

Are you talking about SPDY or what?

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, things like that, yes (though I believe Mozilla is supportive of this particular thing now as well). I need to find the article that I gathered my thoughts from, it's been a couple of weeks and I don't remember the website (Wired.com I think?). Anyway, Google seems to be determined to build their stuff around using Chrome. I understand that in a business sense, but it's overall bad for everyone.

10. Hungry Man

Firefox has experimental support for SPDY in 11.

I don't see any of their sites using Chrome specific stuff except for SPDY, which I think is a really innovative idea and browsers should support it.

The thing is that... if Google servers get a feature, Chrome will be the first to update for it and can support it as its rolling out.

If Chrome gets a feature vica versa.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Do Google call it NaCli o_O And is it DART or Dart o_O

Anyway, now Dash appears to have become Dart ...
    Source ... here & there
    FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build_a_better_mousetrap,_and_the_world_will_beat_a_path_to_your_door

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Silver bullets are expensive :(

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

14. Hungry Man

Native Client is often shortened to NaCli, even by Google.

I think that making DART (DASH) Originally for Chrome may have been purely because it wasn't a standard and therefor trying to conform to other browsers, when they don't support it would not make sense.

Then again, it could easily be because they want to lock them out - I only doubt this because if you want to make something a standard you don't lock people out, you test it before you release it.

15. Hungry Man

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've done just a bit of reading (and haven't seen too much of NaCli except from you ;) ). It's really no big deal, just a speedbreaker while reading ;)

The point about NaCl is that it goes well with Pepper as in, "On August 12, 2009 a page on Google Code introduced a new project, Pepper with associated Pepper Plugin API (PPAPI)".

For a certain arts grad, NaCl = sodium chloride = salt
    and
    NaCl + Pepper = salt and pepper.

17. Hungry Man

18. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Hmmmm .... I'll take that with a pinch of sodium chloride I think ... ;)

19. razorboy

razorboy Registered Member

I agree. Google is the new Evil, in my books.

I tried Chrome, for about an hour, quite a while ago. Yuck. I'll stay with Firefox.

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Looks like a relatively good article for average users.

21. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Heh, when a low integrity browser process would be looked at as less favorable.

22. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, or more exactly: "Who's going to control the web?" The sad answer is: The more people move to Chrome, the more they support the tendency to determine the web standards in a monopolistic manner. We haven't reached that point yet - but who knows how the web will look like in, say, 10 or even 5 years?

Thus, beyond all discussions about technical advantages/disadvantages of various browsers and about details like the pros and cons of, e.g., sandboxing and the likes: The decision to use a browser like Firefox is also kind of a political decision - in the hope that we will continue to have an open web that is not controlled by a single company.

23. guest

guest Guest

So true.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Regardless of browser choice, the web is already controlled by a handful of organizations. Web standards, however, should never be controlled by anyone. This is the problem I'm seeing with Google, they are intent on things being seen their way and pushing it as hard as they can. They are becoming what Microsoft once was, and that's good for nobody. It's hard to stop though, because they simply have a lot more power and influence than MS does or even did back in those days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.