broken netscape

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by mr.mark, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.mark

    mr.mark Guest

    is there anything at all included in the 5/7/03 updates that could have broken netscape communicator4.7?

    i'm not sure how to look back at what definitions were added in the 5/7/03 updates, which would then allow me to uncheck them and see if that fixes things.

    but bottom line, netscape has stopped functioning properly since that update, and i'd like to try to determine if it is coincidental or in fact related.

    i also did a couple other things at that time that i am checking into.

    any help is appreciated.

    :)

    mark
     
  2. Metallica

    Metallica Guest

    Added in that update were:
    Memory Meter/TVMD
    4 WurldMedia BHO's
    Custom Toolbar Variant
     
  3. mr.mark

    mr.mark Guest

    hey metallica...

    thank you for the fast reply. i unchecked those 6 items in SB and guess what....

    the browser is back up and running again.

    very interesting!

    i have ns4.7 running on another machine on my LAN, with winxp, and i applied the same SB updates there as i did on this machine, but that browser was not impacted.

    anyway, now i will add each of those six items you gave me from yesterday's update back into "coverage" until i find the one that creates the problem.

    btw, how do i determine, like you did, which items were included in the 5/7/03 update?

    thank you very much for the help!

    regards

    :)

    mark
     
  4. mr.mark

    mr.mark Guest

    damn it's back to broken again. and unchecking those 5/7 defs made a difference for awhile. really has me scratching my head...
     
  5. spy1

    spy1 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2002
    Posts:
    3,139
    Location:
    Clover, SC
    Hi, Mark!

    Hope javacool responds to your problem when he comes by!

    Good luck! Pete
     
  6. mr.mark

    mr.mark Guest

    hey pete

    good to see you. thanks for saying hi.

    yes, javacool is one responsive dude. i'm not even sure that this is "his" problem, so to speak. i'm really trying to troubleshoot it, and SpywareBlaster just happens to be on the list. :)

    but i also run MRU-Blaster, and i always let it clean whatever it finds, same as i do with Spybot. and whereas this was only happening on one machine awhile ago, ns4.7 is crapping out on me on both boxes now.

    this is the reason i got away from netscape a couple years ago... it was always so prone to crashiness, and i was constantly massaging it with this fix or that fix to keep it running smooth.

    but i introduced something into my machines over the course of the last day or two that has caused ns4.7 to go south on me. shouldn't be too darn hard to isolate!

    famous last words, huh?

    :)

    mark
     
  7. Metallica

    Metallica Guest

    mr.mark,

    I posted on another forum what was included in the update, so I could look it up. :)
    I do hope javacool can help you, but it doesn´t look like it´s caused by SpywareBlaster, since it happened again.
    If, by any off chance, it is related to SpywareBlaster I would gamble on one of the Wurlmedia BHO´s since these turned out to be randomly made. The chance of one of them representing a legit key is enormously small, but not zero.
     
  8. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,995
    Well I do run ever new CLSID through a series of tests - including a scan through a system with tons of major programs installed (including various versions of Netscape). None of the new CLSIDs matched, or caused any issues for that matter, on the system with various versions of Netscape. o_O

    Since you say it is now broken again even though you unchecked those items in SpywareBlaster, it really sounds like a conflict with another program. But if you do discover anything else about this problem, please let me know!

    TIA. :)

    -Javacool
     
  9. mr.mark

    mr.mark Guest

    hey javacool

    my thanks for your reply. and you're correct, this is looking less and less like a SpywareBlaster problem. that said, there are only so many things i could have done to two different machines to render netscape inoperable. my job is to find out what it was i did, or maybe just shine that on and reinstall the darn thing.

    i have other updateable programs to look at, being that those are the only programs i have changed.

    BOClean
    TrojanHunter
    NAV
    KAV
    NoAds
    SpywareBlaster
    MRU-Blaster
    Spybot
    Ad-aware 6.0

    NoAds i looked at first, and simply shut it off, to see if i had inadvertently targeted something other than an ad.

    i'll not go on and on about what i tried... just wanted to thank you for taking a look at this issue.

    to your knowledge, could cleaning with MRU-Blaster be causing netscape to not load web pages?

    best regards

    :)

    mark
     
  10. mr.mark

    mr.mark Guest

    quick update... (like everyone was waiting breathlessly for an update from me. right)

    the browser problem done got better. i am fairly confident that i know what caused the conflict, but i don't know why. right now i am waiting to learn a little bit more before i post "findings".

    but i can definitely say that javacool's software was not at the root of this lil prob.

    :)

    mark
     
  11. Pieter_Arntz

    Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2002
    Posts:
    13,312
    Location:
    Netherlands
    Hi mr.mark,

    I´m glad to hear you are on the verge of figuring this out.
    Do keep us posted. Others might profit from your findings.

    Regards,

    Pieter
     
  12. mr.mark

    mr.mark Guest

    hi Pieter

    will do! promise. thanks for saying hi.

    :)

    mark
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.