Broadband 'increases security risk fivefold'

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Smokey, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Broadband 'increases security risk fivefold'.

While DSL gives businesses a performance boost, it also opens up a nasty can of worms, viruses and hackers - something many firms are still ignorant of
    Analysts have calculated that a business running a broadband Internet connection is five times more vulnerable to a security breach than one that uses dial-up.

In a report issued this week, The Yankee Group warned that many firms are upgrading to broadband without understanding that this exposes them a much greater security risk. The research company has calculated that security breaches will cost UK firms almost £2bn this year, and it believes that a significant proportion of that cost will be due to broadband.

"For those using DSL, the risk of being among those affected is much higher than among dial-up users. We estimate that DSL users are at five times greater risk of being affected by a security attack," Yankee claimed. "'Always On', in other words, means 'Always Vulnerable'," the research group added.

DSL is a much greater security risk because it allows a user to be constantly connected to the Web. While this is ideal for applications such as email and instant messenger, the downside is that it means more exposure to malicious hackers.

By making it easier to email and surf the Internet, broadband also increases the chances of virus attack -- either sent as an email attachment or secretly embedded in a Web page.

These dangers have been known about and reported for some time, but many companies are still reluctant to take IT security seriously.

Businesses are advised to implement a wide range of security products in an attempt to get the benefits of broadband without suffering expensive consequences.

UK ISP Star Internet, which commissioned the report, says it is vital for firms to install a firewall to manage the flow of data in and out of their network, an antivirus product that should ideally monitor emails and Web traffic, and intrusion detection software to monitor for potential threats from outside the organisation.

Source: ZDNet UK

2. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

I would like to know how they calculated this... :D LOL

Sure you are more vulnerable, but that's where routers and software firewall come into the game!

Best regards,

Patrice

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Unfortunately most BroadBand ISP's fail dismally at educating there new users as to the dangers of the Internet, email etc.

My ISP will not actually install their Modem to to the PC or the accompanying software, not having enough skilled staff capable of doing is is the first hurdle, also they are at risk of being sued etc. if things go pear shaped.

So most new users read enough to install their modems get a connection but fail to read the small print at the bottom telling them to get a firewall etc. How many of them would bother anyway?

Probably, like most of the contributors of this forum, I spend many a happy hour cleaning up the mess on friends PC's after they realise the computer is suddenly very slow or they get a letter from their ISP's abuse department.

4. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Is correct, but the real practice at many (big) firms is complete different in a negative way.

5. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

That "newbees" don't know much about security I can understand, but firms should be know better......

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Smokey, Looking at my WallWatcher logs, it is infested by unsecure servers, mainly businesses that, as you & the article point out, have obviously not got a clue.

7. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

When companies change from dial-up to broadband, their staff turn into security experts??
    Dolf

8. Patrice

Oh guys,

I have met IT-people who are responsible for a network with more than thousand computers. They don't have much knowledge about security,... For example they don't have the money to buy the latest versions of the software applications and therefore they can't apply the latest patches from Microsoft... Otherwise the software wouldn't work anymore. Now how would you call this?

I wonder why they don't send a signal out like "Open doors -Hackers are welcome!". :D LOL

Regards,

Patrice

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Patrice, This is an example of how the corporate mind works - We've been hacked because our budget was too low, give us more money please so that we can train our staff & buy the latest upgrades. :rolleyes:

10. Patrice

Well Pilli,

I guess after the hacking you got more money from your boss. Unfortunately this is the only way to demonstrate them what happens when you get hacked... :(

Regards,

Patrice

11. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Patrice,

I think Pilli wrote that in [sarcastic mode]. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:eek: Who me!!! :D

13. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Yeah, sure. You would never allow your boss to get hacked. ;)

14. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

id have to agree corporations should know better when they switch to broadband thats why i prefer isdn i get the speed boost but don't increase my risk of attack

now to the comment of not having any money to get the latest stuff ok is a fair comment how ever if you know where to look you can secure your comp against all but the most determined attackers for free so this should be no excuse take a look at my comp for instance nearly every bit of security software i have if freely available on the net for instance za out post avg proximo SBS&D adaware these are all well known and respected tools and there are meany more beside ok you get what you pay for but id rather have a 80 % secure system using freeware like zaf and spybot then not have it and get attacked and have my comp messed up

now to the comment about staffing ok again fair comment but my response to this is that if you cant afford the staff to look after your system then you shouldn't have such a large system spend you money getting the staff you need then and only then do you upgrade

now as to there staff lacking skill well thats easy to get round just have them come to places like this in the time that i have been coming here iv leaned loads plus its a great place to come to find out about all the latest security vulnerabilities and where to find patches to fix em or where to find instructions to fix em or just a place to find out general info about computers like what bits of software are the best for a given task or where to find a bit of software your lacking in my case right now thats an anti trojan as there are no really good reliable free ones available yet maybe that will change when a2 comes out i hope

well iv had my 2 cents ;)

nite nite all Blessed Be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.