Breaches galore as Cryptome hacked to infect visitors with malware

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://arstechnica.com/business/new...me-hacked-to-infect-visitors-with-malware.ars
  2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

More proof that "safe browsing" and "common sense" won't do jack for a user. Another (at least somewhat) safe website spewing malware.
  3. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

Not really. 99.99% of the time you've got absolutely nothing to worry about if you're fully patched, which falls under common sense, alongside declining any download a server might suddenly shovel to you without asking.
  4. Hungry Man

99.99%? Sounds legit.
  5. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Always concerned about that .01% though. I visited an online photo site and if it wasn't for my security setup I would have been hosed.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

Well, how often do you hear about 0-day brand new unpatched vulnerabilities being used? Now, how often do you hear about month old patched vulnerabilities being used?
  7. Hungry Man

I definitely hear about 0days once in a while (A flash/java one pops up once in a while and they'll even get exploited), not all that rare at all. Patched vulns get used more often, but a lot of the times it's recently patched, ie: just a few days old (this has happened a lot with java, exploits that are out within the week.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.