bought an ASUS AC-87U Router, do I still need an AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mortal Raptor, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

but what does it do exactly? will it help in my torrent downloads for example if I leave it on?

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Network discovery for hardware. Net traversal is active, so that means UPnP can be used to discover location machines, appliances, devices, port mappings, etc.

Best to have it off IMO. You can read up on some of the technical stuff here.

http://toor.do/upnp.html

3. fax

fax Registered Member

Thank for your input! I have disabled it... I see if there are negative side effects.

4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

It will automatically forward the port your torrent client uses.
    It won't make a difference to download speeds but makes a considerable difference to upload speeds.

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Just PF your torrent pipes, solves the issue. I'd never have UPnP on and allow remote torrent connections.

6. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

if it's only gonna help in upload, I don't care about that, I use port forwarding in my VPN Client (Private Internet Access) then set that same port which Private Internet Access in my qBittorrent settings.

7. fax

fax Registered Member

Here you have the official release 2015/03/18
    http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-AC87U

8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Does this fix the URL Scanning and AiProtection they bompletely broke?

9. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes... it does. This is exactly the same firmware (same MD5) posted in this thread as "beta".

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Wow that took them a long time to fix a 'appliance breaking' but..

For consumers, I still think these AiProtection routers are the best in class. Firmware will marinade another 6 months and the problems will go away. Every device has issues, even our high end Fortigate's.

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, current official firmware has still issues (e.g. WPS not really turned OFF for 5GhZ).
    Hopefully few more months and we will get a better one...

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Too bad TomatoRAF can't make one faster. I used to use that on E4200 which unfortunately died due to crappy DD-WRT firmware. But TomatoRAF was awesome with the best QOS I've ever seen in my life. Faaaar better than QOS in this ASUS, even though it's still good considering how bad QOS is on other routers (stock firmware of course). Anyway, until then I'll be using stock and when TomatoRAF is ready, I'll migrate to that.

13. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Guys does enabling the AiTrend Micro slow down the internet or downloads of torrents in any way?

By the way, I sold my RT-AC3200 as that thing can never keep a stable connection more than 60 minutes without disconnecting. Sick of desperately waiting for a firmware that fixes this router so I sold it and got an AC68U which has been the most stable router I've used, never disconnects at all.

Second question, if I do enable the AiTrend protection in the router, is it perfectly safe to disable SSL scanning in my Bitdefender Antivirus?

14. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

AiProtection does not slow speeds at all. It's safe to disable all URL scanning on endpoints with AiProtection enabled. HTTP/S scanning is largely irrelevant on desktops with a UTM deployed (including ASUS), it just needlessly slows things down.

RT-AC87 is largely considered a better product than the AC3200. I was worried when you rushed out to get the AC3200. BUT you are in an apartment complex, my guess is you need to do a wireless planner, and program any router to work around overlapping signals and signal bleed. We see this almost daily. Enable channels 1, 6, and 11, and turn on RRP limited to those channels, and you will eliminate much bleed through. AC87 makes the best WAP I have ever seen - by the way - which tells me Asus suffers from firmware issues. In WAP mode, Asus is largely functioning as a pure hardware device, and it's reliable, stable, and strong.

15. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I agree with Mayahana on this, you should be able to disable SSL scanning in Bitdefender and have zero worries. Your setup, including the AiProtection, has got you covered quite nicely. The SSL scanning would likely only slow things down a bit plus I think that your other defenses have got you covered.

Jokingly... Mortal, I should create an Animated PNG for your avatar that cycles through the logos of all AV software companies automatically for you. You know, to save you the trouble of having to switch your avatar manually whenever you switch AV. Maybe I can set the animation to switch every two days or so. :cool:;)

Joking aside, I respect you. I read your posts and threads. Cheers, dude, and enjoy your weekend!

16. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

LOL!!!!!

17. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Thanks man, this gave me the laugh of the day :argh:

If I were you, I'd say the same about such a person like me, very fair. I am a perfectionist and constantly change AVs because some issues don't show up after a day or two but need some time to really be able to tell if an AV has some quirks or not.

I really wanted to jump on the TrustPort Bandwagon like Mayhana as I follow anything he says blindly but the fact that it doesn't play well with DPI scaling and ignored the DPI scaling in Windows doesn't go well with my OCD. It was the lightest AV I've tried so far but I decided to give my Bitdefender license another run after abandoning it for 2 years.....haven't uninstalled it yet in 48 hours.....let's see how this goes....

18. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

First rule in life: Nothing is ever perfect. As Dr. Hawkin's would say.. Why fault a dented trash can? It's a perfectly good dented trash can serving a purpose. For example you aren't running Trustport, despite having multiple engines, zero system weight, and absolutely no bloat because it doesn't support DPI changes that aren't generally used by anyone? In the words of Surak "That is ... Illogical".

Let's face it, a good AV should be installed and then forgotten about. There really is no need to ever look at it again. In the case of Trustport, why would you even be looking at the interface after you set it up and configured it? Hence the DPI issue is irrelevant.. Or why not set your DPI back to standard like everyone else? Install it, and forget about it. For me the key is not having any system impact, or overt annoyances, as I rarely ever look at my AV's, and I never run on-demand scans. Most of our clients actually don't even know they have an AV installed, so I think this is the rule rather than the exception.

19. fax

fax Registered Member

This may cause pop-up windows to be only partially visible and/or non-responsive GUI. So it is a rather relevant issue. As different DPI is becoming a default for many high-def ultra portable devices (eg. Surface Pro 3, 2 and the like) it is rather illogical not testing products against this. It is not the only security product with this problem ;)

20. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Mayahna has a good point, you usually set an AV and forget it, but it is inexcusable to have such a flaw. What's worse is after contacting them they don't wanna fix it even! That doesn't build a lot of trust for me.

21. fax

fax Registered Member

It is possibly a lot of work and change of platform to design their GUI. So, understandably not something that can fix in a short time frame and likely an issue affecting only "few" users on ultra compact portable devices. But... we are going offtopic for this thread, sorry for this.

22. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Difficult fix, and it's probably impacting only a tiny fragment of their user base. It's probably as close to a perfect AV as you will come, I'd deal with it.

23. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I'll buy it as I follow everything you say.

24. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Why would you do that? o_O

Try it first, if you want a can send you a key after that.

25. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Oh I already said in another post, I did try it and loved how light it is, loved its interface which looks like a copy/paste of NOD32. If you click on the settings, you will think that's NOD32 :D

My only gripe was the DPI scaling but I'm gonna have to get used to a 100% scaling rather than 125% to make things look right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.