Bootable clone partition

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by olesmithy, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olesmithy

olesmithy Registered Member

Using Drive Copy 9.5 I have cloned a hard drive to a second drive using the "Clone Hard Drive" setting and all appears to be OK.

However, I would also like to clone a source drive to a partition of a multi-partitioned target drive, rather than the entire drive. The target partition is larger than the source drive. I have not been able to find settings to permit this. It appears that the only way the program works is to erase everything from the target disk, including all partitions, and then clone the source disk. Are there settings that permit a source drive to be cloned to a target partition without destroying or erasing other partitions on the target drive?

Along the same lines, I don't see how to simply copy the source drive to one partition of a multi-partition target drive. Can this be done?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

No. It is not possible. That is because if you clone the entire HD - you copy the partition table as well. The partition table on the target HD is overwritten. Any partitions that were on the target Drive are gone.

Copy the partition (s) instead of the whole Disk.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. olesmithy

olesmithy Registered Member

If I copy the partition to the second drive will the second drive be bootable or only a backed up copy?

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Depends what you mean by bootable.

Paragon will automatically add an entry to your existing boot menu so you can boot the copied partition through your existing boot menu.

If the copied partition contains the boot critical files, then you can make the second HD bootable individually, if that's what you mean.

The copied partition would need to be the first active partition in the bios boot order.

Windows has an occasional habit of switching drive/ partition letters, if you encounter that , or a change in Disk ID ( if windows detects two identical ID's it will change the secone one ) you may need to adjust the bcd accordingly. Startup repair from the windows dvd will do it, so will booting the Paragon cd and selecting boot corrector > correct bcd. Or if windows has decided to change the drive letters boot corrector>change drive letters in system registry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.