boot up times shut down

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by maddawgz, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hi any good software for boot up time to make it quicker..and shut down or tweaks? i use Tune up utilities tx b

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I believe that XP-Antispy has a option to enable "fast shut down" via a registry tweak.

I think it changes the following reg value to this.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
    "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="2000"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/NAMOR/xpantispy.png

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I use TuneUp Utilities to tweak my PC, it is a powerful tool. As to speed up boot up and shut down time are concerned, I find these methods are very useful, I have been using them for a quite some time, very pleased indeed.
    To speed up boottime: I use startup manager, such as Speed Startup; it can arrange starting apps in order of your liking, also can space up apps' booting up by few more seconds, so that all apps will not bottleneck the system. To beef up shut down time: A program called WinXP manager has an option for it OR if you are willing to adjust registry: this way please,(1) HKLM>system>current control set>control>wait to kill service timeout--change value from default(20000) to 1000. (2) HKEY Current User> control panel>desktop>wait to kill app timeout--change value from default(20000) to 1000. and >HungApp Timeout, change value from default(5000) to 200. (3) HKEY Current User>control panel>Desktop>Auto End Tasks, change value from default(0) to 1. Caution, if you decide to take this route, please backup whole registry beforehand, just in case. Good luck.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

6. WSFuser

whered u hear that? i dont believe that tweak could possibly damage teh hard drive.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i cant remember where but i think it was on a website with a icon that once you double click makes a super fast shutdown.
    it said prolonged usage could damage the hard drive.
    is it true that a blue screen could damage the hard drive if they happen all the time?
    because thats also a sort of fast shutdown to.
    the way i see it is like this,
    if you use the registry tweak your forcing it to shutdown faster.
    if it does npo damage to the hard drive why didnt microsoft make it shutdown that fast in the first place?
    lots of people would of been happer for there pc to shutdown faster.
    lodore

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I think they do not lower the WaitToKillServiceTimeout time due to possible data loss, etc, since services may not have enough time to close properly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839262

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888745

It's critical to leave services enough time to clean up after themselves and write out any cached data they may be maintaining internally. If you don't, you may lose all or part of the data maintained by the service; since the DHCP, DNS, WINS, Exchange, and SQL servers are all services, this poses a real risk to your data-you probably shouldn't adjust this value on machines that run any of these services.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: hi, NAMOR: the links to microsoft you refer are for servers only? Most server contain huge amt of data , and their storage spaces are normally larger than individal workstations, therefore speedy shutdown may cause problems. Since I adopted the registry tweak methods, my shut down time has been improved substaintially. I also tweak prefectcher,"start" menu speed, and window showup speed by changing value from default. Works remarkably.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Is it this one?

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Tony: Bingo, you got it. Try it, you will like it; easy to use, and license is lifetime. Good luck.

12. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I believe the warning Lodore is speaking of is about possible file corruption, not actual physical damage to the hdd. The idea behind it is that if a program is forced to shut down prior to it being done performing its` assigned task\writing to disk then the information it was writing is not complete and there for corrupt.

13. WSFuser

well thats different though I havent experienced that problem myself.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes that was what i was warning people about.
    thanks for explaining it Thunderz
    lodore

15. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

:thumb:

Neither have I. However I did receive an occasional complaint from ZA on shut down, which I do not do often. I increased the time limit for forced shut down a little at a time and the warning went away. IMO, it is a safe tweak if used in moderation.

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I took a peek at this program, and it marked Kaspersky's avp.exe file as bad! :eek:

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Tony: After scan, just ignore the ranking of results. Clean, w/ slider moved to extreme; this way all startups will be placed in content. Then you can decide which ones to auto or manual start. In auto startup, you can decide the sequence order and space between two startups.

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Thanks for your help, Perman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.