Boot Trouble after OS partion backup outside of OS

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Wigman, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wigman

Wigman Registered Member

Hello! from my old laptop......:) You've people have helped me once before so maybe you can bail me out of trouble again.......:) K so here it goes.

I only use the advanced PE disk for creating partition images and recovery because my OS is on a RAID 0 and have to load drivers and work outside of windows to perform HDM tasks. Last night I backed up my OS partition. I then tried out the defrag tool on the actual OS partition then rebooted as usual. The computer boot's all the way up to the windows 7 logo (which is the last screen you see before the desktop) then I see a quick blue screen with some text on it (too fast to read) then the computer restarts and says "windows has just recovered from a major error" If I select restart normal windows loads up the PE recovery options. I let windows try to fix itself in that mode and it find's a problem. Here's what it say's:

Root cause found
    ----------------------
    Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem

Repair Action: System Restore
    Result: Cancelled

Repair action: System file integrity check and repair
    Result: Failed Error code=0x490

So far I attempted updating the MBR even manually just to see if that would help but didn't work. Checked bios boot order, unplugged all my drives except the OS drives.

I'm confused because besides the defrag the only thing I've done was backup the OS partition while I was outside of windows so I'm out of ideas now. Any input will be greatly appreciated.......

Thank you very much!!

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

It seems that the defrag tool corrupted the system. I would just restore the image created before.

3. Wigman

Wigman Registered Member

Thank's for posting!
    That was my thinking too, that the defrag was the problem. I restored the image and it behaves the same way.. Funny cuz I'd think that would definately put the OS back the way it was since it's the exact copy of the OS before defrag. In the past I've done some whacky experiments with this program but I have yet to see this problem before!:)

4. Wigman

Wigman Registered Member

Forgot to mention, tried windows startup repair with the original win7 os disk and no luck. It say's "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically" so is ther a manual method,advanced commands maybe? Tried system restore but get some funky error and it stop's before it starts..:doubt:

I gotta move this laptop where I can sit down. Battery don't work plus hard wired to the internet...

5. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Did you try to boot Windows in safe mode (pressing F8 key during startup) ?

Could you please boot from WinPE Recovery CD (which could be made from separate self-burning *.exe file from My Account - My Downloads) and collect log files:
    * Boot from WinPE Recovery CD
    * Run HDM from main menu
    * Check how your System partition is shown.
    Is it shown as unformatted?
    * Then close the main HDM program
    * start File Transfer Wizard from main menu
    * select (X: ) Boot, open Programs -> Paragon Software -> program
    Please make sure you go exactly to X:, and not to C:
    * find log files: BioNTlog.txt, cdb.log, pwlog.txt, stubact.log - and transfer them to physical partition, for example to an external drive, following the steps of wizard
    * finish
    * attached collected log files to your reply.

Also it would be useful to know what error appears on attempt to start Windows normally. You need to get minidum file which contains BSOD error info:
    * Boot from WinPE Recovery CD
    * start File Transfer Wizard from main menu
    * go to <your system partition drive letter>:/WINDOWS/Minidums/
    * find files with *.dmp extensions and save them to any removable drive.
    * attach files to your reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.