Boot setup question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmcdev1, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmcdev1

jmcdev1 Registered Member

Hi Folks,

another newbie question. I read on the forum about going into the Boot Setup and moving the CD drive up to the top of the list in the boot order. I pressed F2 at startup and did this then Saved and Exited. Going back into the Boot setup and checking the order still shows the CD drive to be at the top of the list. So I thought I was all set.

However, when I then put the bootable CD in, restart and press f12 at startup, the order that shows still lists the Internal HD at the top of the list for boot options, with the CD drive after that in second place. I have to use the down arrow to select the CD drive and it boots just fine into the Acronis program. I'm then able to backup an archive to me ext. HD successfully and it validates.

My question is, why didn't the new boot order that I saved show up when I used the Acronis bootable CD? If my internal HD crashes, will the fact that the CD drive is listed second in the boot list cause a problem, when trying to boot from the bootable CD to restore an archive of the full disk to the replacement internal HD?

Thanks for your kind help, folks.

Jeff

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

What happens if you do not press F12 and just let the system continue booting?

3. jmcdev1

Hi Ralphie,

Well, pressing F12 repeatedly at startup brings up the one time boot page where you can select how you want to boot: Int. HD, CD, diskette, etc. If I don't press this key, the computer will just boot into Windows as it usually does. I guess I'm not sure what you are getting at. Thanks.

Jeff

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

If the CD is set as first boot medium in the Bios the PC will start via Boot-CD if available. If not it will continue starting via hard disc. No need for pressing F12.
    The boot menue which shows up by pressing F12 could not be equal with the boot sequenz you set up in the bios. That may be normal in your case depending on your bios software.

5. jmcdev1

Aha! Right you are! :) Thanks Ralphie and Tommy. Much appreciated.

Jeff

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

And this is in spite of having set the CD to boot first in the bios? Are you saving the setting when you exit from making the change in the bios?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.