Boot Sector

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tatersalad, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

I use Raxco Perfect disk as my defrag utility and it defrags my MBR sector. Is that that going to mess with the Arconis startup recovery manager?

Also I created a secure zone partition and then imaged my NTFS system drive to it but when I look at the partition in Windows Disk Management it says the file system is Fat32. Has the image been converted? If so I thought that conversion only went one way.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tatersalad,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Could you please make sure that Raxco Perfect Disk really defrags MBR? This seems very strange since you shouldn't move any sectors in MBR otherwise you will loose the ability to boot the system.

When you created the image and stored it into Acronis Secure Zone you will not see the image file itself because Acronis Secure Zone is special hidden partition that is not visible for any applications except Acronis True Image. In Disk Management you see the file system type of Acronis Secure Zone itself rather than of the partition you imaged. The file system of the partition you backed up was not converted in any way.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  3. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

PerfectDisk defragments the MFT not the MBR.

4. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

Yes you’re right; it is the master file tables not the master boot record that PD dfrags. PD refers to it a boot time defagmentation and I got the acronyms mixed up. When I was reading the help file on the startup recovery manager it said something about third party boot managers and I sensed danger. False alarm.

After going through a mock restoration I saw the image being listed as ntfs.

Thank for the help :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.