Boot Scan

Discussion in 'NOD32 Early v2 Beta' started by Loki, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi Feivel.

we are checking it and I'll get back to you.

rgds, :)

jan

2. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Thanks Jan :)

3. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hey Feivel,

>I sort of narrowed my annoyance somewhat. I have three NOD32 services on my computer. They are:

>NOD32 Control Center Service - Disabled - nod32cc.exe" -service (apparently a remenent from a bad uninstall of the pre-beta version but it is disabled anyway)

>NOD32 Kernel Service - automatic - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe

>NOD32 Service - disabled - nod32m2.exe (apparently a remenant since it's disabled no problem there.)

Although this doesn't seem to be a very common problem – it’s possible your “over installation” got corrupted. The NOD32 Control Center Service should not be there when using the Beta. If you want to have it clean - the following could help (I'm sorry it seems to be such complicated :)):

- uninstall the Beta version
    - install the current version
    - uninstall the current version with the Eset Uninstaller (Start>Programs>Eset>Uninstall)
    - installation the Beta version

>I have TPF installed (as a sandbox only) and I finally decided to watch the activity upon boot. When the NOD32 Kernel Service (nod32krn.exe) starts, it starts nod32.exe to scan the default profile THEN it starts a second copy of nod32.exe to scan another profile. Between this information and what I posted previously, this annoyance will be solved soon. BTW, i tried disabling NOD32 Kernel Service but all that does is "stall" NOD32 at the splash screen.

I'd need to know what entries do you have in NOD32 System Tools>Scheduler/Planner

Please don't try disabling the NOD32 Kernel Service - it's a main service that communicates with the GUI.

regards, :D

jan

4. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Jan,

These appear in scheduled tasks (with show system tasks enabled)

Log Maintainance every day at 0300,none
    update repeatedly, every hour,none
    Scan all 1800, Thursday,user profile
    Scan C every day at 1900,C only

I will do the uninstall and reinstall when I return home later.

5. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Uninstalled the beta and there was no uninstall for the previous version. Reinstalled the beta and the 3 services are still appearing but only the Kernel is auto (like before). There is no profile scan on reboot but I didn't create any profiles yet. That is also when the problem appeared last time so apparently it is related to profiles (or I just make them wrong).

6. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

Sounds like your old version is locked in like a tick. It hapens occasionally.

1. Uninstall the beta.

2. Quit AMON and the POP3 Scanner, and the Control Center if you can. (Click on the icons and select "Quit".)

3. Boot into Safe Mode.

4. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Eset\ and all its contents.

5. Reboot the PC normally. Ignore warnings (if any) about NOD32 components not being found ... Windows _should_ rectify this itself.

6. Install the beta.

I'm fairly sure this will get rid of the problem.

7. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Rodzilla,

I uninstalled the beta (yet again), booted into safe mode and deleted c:\program files\eset. The old services still appear BEFORE I reinstalled the beta but they are disabled. When I reinstalled the beta, the kernel service was added and is set to auto as it should be. Same observation as before regarding the profiles.

8. Phil

Phil Registered Member

I think there may be a very important part of the process you are missing.

Uninstall the beta -- boot

INSTALL THE CURRENT RELEASE VERSION -- boot.

NOW, UNINSTALL THE RELEASE VERSION -- boot.

Check to see if now you see the Control Center or anything related to NOD running. If so, ESET will have to assist, If not --

Now, reinstall the beta. You should be good to go. I think you missed the part about installing and then uninstalling the release version to get rid of those processes.

HTH
    Phil

9. rodzilla

Hmmmm ... if you deleted c:\program files\eset\ then there should have been nothing left to load ... disabled or not.

Check to make sure you don't have a second copy (or part thereof) on your HD. I was stumped for a long time by a similar problem until I finally found that the user still had both the skeleton of an old NOD32 trial version and a copy of McAfee still active in a directory named "Antivirus".

If that fails, try Phil's suggestion. (The reboots are very important!)

10. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Rodzilla,

Nothing loaded untill AFTER I installed the beta. The only problem at the moment is the old services and the wrong way I create profiles (or possibly a beta problem?).

Phil,

I will follow your instructions since they sound as if they might work. Also, you write

I think you missed the part about installing and then uninstalling the release version to get rid of those processes.

Not exactly :)

11. rodzilla

> Nothing loaded untill AFTER I installed the beta. The only problem at the moment is the old services and the wrong way I create profiles (or possibly a beta problem?).

VERY strange! ... the old services must be coming from somewhere else, because that code is not in the beta.

12. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Not strange Rodzilla, I guess I am not explaining properly. The 2 services other than the kernel are remenants from the old install that remained. They are disabled so they are not causing any problem at all. Later this morning I will follow Jan and Phil's advice to uninstall, reboot, install the release version, reboot, uninstall the release version, reboot, install the beta (thank god I removed that MS shutdown bug from SP3). In any case, that will remove the 2 disabled services BUT the scanning profile annoyance will most likely return as soon as i create an extra profile. Is that clear now? The problem is NOT the extra services that are disabled, it is the scanning of profiles that I did not schedule.

13. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

I found the bug!!!!!!! it was NOT in the profile creation or caused by the 2 disabled services (left over from a previous install). the bug was in the create scheduled task routine. To be more specific, it was at the point where you make a selection in case the task didn't run as scheduled. The default choice is WAIT TILL NEXT SCHEDULED INSTANT and everything runs fine and no unexpected scans on boot. The second choice is where the problem lies, the choice is PERFORM THE TASK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, the schedule is performed at the proper time AND also upon reboot. The third choice I haven't tried but I am afraid too because it might have the same undesired effects as choice number 2.

Sorry Phil and Rodzilla but I did NOT remove those 2 old (disabled) services yet. Jan's statement led me to believe (and the fact that they were disabled), that they had NOTHING to do with this problem.

14. rodzilla

Glad you got it sorted out!

Now I will know what to tell the next guy who asks!

(This forum is a two-way street.) :)

15. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Considering nobody has mentioned this problem besides me, maybe everyone uses the default selection of wait till next time. Then again, could be a bug specific to Windows 2000 or a software conflict? Then again, it could just be a quirk with my computer. If NOD32 wasn't so good, do you think I would have went through these hoops for it? Either way NOD32 is still (and probably for a looooong time will stay) the best AV on the market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.