Boot from TI CD: can't see external USB-Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pengquadrat, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pengquadrat

pengquadrat Registered Member

Hello, I upgraded to V9 build 2.337 ... but when booting from CD (burned with that build) I still don't see my external USB disk (HD-337-U2 enclosure with a 120GB Samsung disk). Hardware is an IBM NetVista (6349-72G with build in USB1.1 ports and an 4-port USB 2.0 PCI adapter).
    I tried:
    - connected the drive to the USB 1.1 port and USB 2.0 port of the PCI adapter:
    disk does not show up in the list of drives to select the image from
    - connected an USB stick to the USB 1.1 port: USB stick is recognized and
    displayed fine. Didn't try to insert the stick in the PCI adapter yet.

I did buy TI 9 for exactly that feature: to be able to restore from an external drive when my entire hdisk crashed. No that feature doesn't work.

Any advice is appreciated.

| Update: Now I see 1 (the first) of the 4 logical drives of my external disk as "Wechseldatenträger (B:)". Maybe I have overlooked that
    | yesterday, when expecting these disks to appear as H, I, J and K like in Windows.
    | At least some success, but the logical disk where I saved my image is still missing.

|| I'm just solving my problem by merging all partitions of my external drive (making better utilization of the disk space thereby).

Joachim

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  2. pengquadrat

If this is not a bug but rather a feature, I think it should be mentioned in the documentation, that only the first of several partitions of an external USB drive can be selected when running TrueImage restore from CD.

Joachim

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Joachim,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The possible solution is to disable USB Legacy support option in BIOS. You can also try do the following:

- Boot the computer from Acronis True Image bootable rescue disc (Full version);
    - Hit F11 key when the selection screen appears;
    - After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please add "nousb2" parameter (without quotes) to the end of the Linux kernel command line (so it will be "quiet nousb2");
    - Click OK button.

If this does not help then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

If you restore from Acronis bootable rescue CD (it contains a Linux kernel), Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (full version) can display drive letters different from those the user sees in Windows because Linux has its own rules of drive naming. Such situation may usually arise after using partitioning software. This is absolutely normal and there is no need to worry about the difference in drive letters assignment.

For more information, please refer to the Malta Linux Users Group article here.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

4. pengquadrat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.