Boot CD Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by max0071, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

I have made a boot disk. If the need arises, it seems that I can only restore an image from the secure zone. When starting from boot disk it claims not to have backed up my usb drivers. If this is the case how do I restore the image to my c: drive if my external usb drivers are no longer availableo_O??

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You certainly should be able to restore an image from an external USB drive.

What exactly do you mean by "it clamis not to have backed up my usb drivers"?

Please provide more details about what you are doing?

3. max0071

When I boot from the CD there is a message in the lower right hand corner saying that the image does not contain usb drivers. If this is true how do i recover my image without these drivers. Since I have my images on my external usb 2.0 hard driveo_O?

4. seekforever

The CD has two modes, Full and Safe. Full is a Linux environment (but that is invisible to you) and has the USB drivers. Safe uses DOS and BIOS routines and typically does not contain USB, Firewire, etc drivers. Are you selecting Safe instead of Full?

5. max0071

I was just testing and booted from my cd. But if i read your comments correctly, you are telling me that if i choose to boot from "full" then my drivers (usb) will be included thereby allowing me to restore my image from my external usb hard drives.

It does ask me if I want full or safe. So i should use "full" and i can restore the image to my c: and be as I was before any disaster. Do I understand you correctlyo_O

6. max0071

Ok............I've been doing some reading .........the manual.

It seems that when creating a boot disk you have a choice to choose full or safe. I chose both........so .............if I'm reading and understanding all this I should choose full from the boot disk, and I can then reinstall my image so my computer xp pro........is exactly as it was before the crash.

I have not partitions just one c: drive. All i wanna do is image my c: to how it was, not changing anything ......... no tricks........one drive and I wanna back up everything and restore (image) it back as it was.........o_Oo_O??

7. seekforever

Yes, you need the full version for USB drives if you are storing your archive on one. You cannot restore a partition if it is the same partition the archive is stored on.

Validate your archive after you create it and before you restore it at least until you are confident TI works well on your system.

You should also mount the archive and see if you can access files on it as a further test.

Remember that none of these tests absolutely guarantees the archive will restore properly. For a first time restore it is always best to restore to another HD just in case it doesn't work. After you see TI successfully working on your system you can use it with confidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.