Bombshell: avast! 6.0 Available!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Doraemon, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

sorry what is it avast cloud?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Cloud scanning tech. We were talking about it with developers about this feature but it was not officially planned for now. I'm quite sure they are working on it, probably for avast! 6.1, 6.5 or even 7.0. No one really knows.
    For now they have a larger focus on Behavior Shield and Auto Sandbox.

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Yes im using IS.I did try the safezone browser for a few minutes then switched back to firefox.I gusess it was sandboxed then ,but doesnt get released when you leave safezone?
    ellison

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I think it depends on how you close the SafeZone. If you close it using red button i think it gets released. If you close it using green button it will remain in memory. But i have to check this out to be sure. Brb.

5. ellison64

I had similar experience and notice that you use outpost.I updated AIS TO 6 version and noticed that webrep wasnt installed for IE and wouldnt install (it gave an error).I then uninstalled Avast completly and reinstalled and found that outpost firewall wouldnt show in the system tray or open to desktop..I then uninstalled outpost and reinstalled ,,,same result.Only Reinstalling avast again without the behavior blocker allowed me to see outpost in the tray and actually use it.Im sure theres a problem between the behavoir blocker and outpost .Everythings working now ,but ill reinstall the behavior blocker later and see if anything happens.
    ellison

6. ellison64

I have just confirmed what i already suspected.I just installed the behavior module in AIS ,rebooted and no more outpost.Its not in tray anymore and i cant open it.I use outpost pro with w7 64bit.
    ellison

Edit...Uninstalled behavior blocker again and hey presto_Outpost is back.Can anyone duplicate these results/?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well running 2 security programs at once just calls for a disaster. Especially in case of Outpost which also employs HIPS like technology.

@ellison64
    I can confirm what i've said. If you close the SafeZone using red button it willa lso release ctfmon.exe. If you close it using green button it will remain sandboxed.

8. ellison64

Thanks rezor for safezone confirmation.I disagree with you about outpost.It hasnt been installed with antispyware or web control module which used to be the cause of conflict and is why outpost disables these modules when installed with avast.In my case i choose expert install and dont install the modules at all.
    ellison

9. Pazzie

Pazzie Registered Member

I'm also using Avast! 6.0 together with Outpost Firewall Pro 7.1 (W7 64 bit) and had the same problem.

The workaround:
    "Try unchecking the 'monitor the system for unauthorised modifications' option in the behaviour shield, expert settings and see if that makes a difference."

It works for me. Found it at:
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=71665.0

So, you don't have to uninstall the whole Behaviour Shield module.

10. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have to agree with rejzor on this one. I think Outpost 7.1 with all it's modules selected gives great security. I also think AIS on it's own gives great security. Mixing the 2 security apps can give unexpected results, even when not using certain modules of one or the other. I know in theory they should get along if your not using the web shield in one etc etc... This has been my experience using various firewall/hips/av from other vendors and mixing and matching. The only combo that seems to work is using a sandbox from one vendor and a av from another. Use Win7 FW.

Just my .02 cents
    Ice

11. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Trying to update Avast AV (free edition), using the programs own update feature, resulted in perpetual botched bootup.
    I've been running Avast Free with Online Armor (free) and Sandboxie (free) for quite some time but avast 6.0 won't play nice.
    Like others have posted, during bootup, the whole system froze. Repeatedly.
    No way to stop any services or restart the OS, only a hard reboot (HDD CLICK; ouch) brought the comp back to live.

Too much of a bombshell imo.
    Anyone else using the above combo and experiencing issues? (Haven't had time yet to uninstall OA, reinstall Avast etc.)
    Another 0.02 cents.

12. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

i think oa has given problems to avast b4 also...try shutting down oa bf avast update

13. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

I am impressed
    did the update through program update and still all is well.
    much better than the 5.xxx upgrades through program update
    now at 6.1 as well ...new update to 6. program
    Like the sandbox for java stuff.
    was really suprised with IE9 RC on here
    Only item not using is the browser plug in for IE ....aka Webrep
    using win 7 pro 64

14. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I'm going to wait a couple of updates before using it. Kinda like waiting for all the bugs in a SP1 to go through. From what people are noticing, is it still pretty light? I'm thinking of dumping comodo's AV component for Avast free. Any one having any issues.

15. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

I had the same trouble with Outpost and Avast 6. If you do this workaround, what am I losing in protection? Anything?

On my computer, the Outpost was still functioning but the icon was gone and I couldn't open Outpost at all. I went back to Avast 5 but will try this option in this post tonight at home.

16. ellison64

Nothing really if you still use outpost.
    ellison

17. ellison64

I personally think theres been a lack of information regarding the behavior shield and how it works.I certainly didnt realize it would conflict with any hips programe.Ive just looked at the avast site on the AIS page and everything is vauge.Considering the popularity of outpost and OA threatfire etc,i certainly would have thought they would have been tested together for stability and some sort of incompatability warning given to non beta testers.
    ellison

18. ellison64

A bug that seems to happen ..or it has on two laptops (both w764bit) ,is if you have firefox and IE ,webrep only seems to install its plugin in firefox with IE (9) giving install errors.This doesnt happen with full installation.
    ellison

19. osip

osip Registered Member

Upgraded to Avast6 AV free on laptop w7x64. Runs perfect together with PrivateFirewall.I'm very pleased with this freebie combo.

20. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

what about the license-giveaway given by avast las december.
    does it work with this version6

21. 2good

2good Guest

anyone here having browser crashes cause I"m getting them one after another wind up unnstalling avast & installing antivir

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The license works for as long as its valid. For the same edition of course.

23. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

24. gery

gery Registered Member

yes i confirm it i bought a license for 3 PC-s of AIS for the half of the price and i really like it so far. Lighter than AIS 5 was and the web is a lot faster than previously running AVG. I wished this was AVG instead of AVASt but ....
    i totally ditched avg for good ( this year at least ) Avast has been miles away from my computers it only was an AV that i used occasionally but now i am a convert and really happy. Everything looks fine for me.
    Keep the good job going on Avast .

25. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Yeah...WOT it is. So if you have WOT you may not need Webrep...:)

How about SafeZone? Any ideas here....?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.