Bodhi

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I had started a topic on Bodhi sometime in 2010. It got exactly zero posts :(

So here's one again!

Downloaded the ~400 MB file via torrent. Put it on a 4 GB USB stick with UNetbootin. It's elegant and pretty snappy even though it's running from the USB.

It uses the Enlightenment DE but otherwise is based on Ubuntu. Mrk wasn't too happy with an earlier version but it would be interesting to know his views on 1.1.

It's supposed to work even with low-spec PCs despite its classy looks.

And the really nice thing is that it comes with virtually nothing preloaded. You can choose to install whatever you want. To get you going it has the tiny Midori browser (all of ~ 3MB) which you can use to download whatever else you want but right now I'm running Aurora (from my Mint install on the hard disk).

I just have to finish backing up a few more things and then (try to) install this on my hard disk along side Katya.

2. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Hi,

Funny that I saw this post. I tried Bodhi from a usb pen just last night, I was impressed,both by the looks and the speed. I'm at a bit of a loose end this afternoon so I think I'll see how it runs as a full install.

My distro of choice at the moment is pinguy.

3. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Bodhi is awesome, I really liked it. It seemed quite stable for an enlightenment distro and there's some nice touches that make it very polished. In fact I contemplated switching to it permantly at one point but the suspend problems that plague all ubuntu spins was present. If you can live with unsigned packages and the odd suspend hiccup then I say go for it and install it.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've been using Mint 11 for just over a month and haven't seen any real problem maybe because I shut of the PC when it isn't needed and don't use suspend/hibernate.

As far as unsigned packages go, the lead dev has argued quite a bit on the matter and while it may be an issue for some, it isn't for others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.