Bodhi Linux no1 on distro watch

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

At tuxmachines.org the informal poll of users choice between x32 and x64 OS shows x64 leading x32 with 56% for x64 and 44% for x32. The biggest gripe on Windows 7 forums is for the x32 bit only Windows 7 starter and most Win 7 users complain of the fact that for any memory update, the price of OS and not the memory is the main hurdle.

No one is putting anything in your mouth here. Just the fact that x64 is mainstream today and here to stay and will be the OS to follow, presuming its not relevant is the bane here.

2. JeffHoogland

JeffHoogland Registered Member

Where on earth did I say 64bit isn't relevant? In fact I've stated for the 3rd time now - we know 64bit is of importance. We will be adding it to our next major release.

My point this entire time though is that 32bit OSes run on 100% of 32bit and 64bit systems, while 64bit only runs on, you guessed it, 64bit.

Meaning when we started out to support one desktop platform to start - 32bit was and still is the obvious choice.

~Jeff

3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Just saw this one. I assume you are Bodhi from the Ubuntu Forums. I'll take a look at this one just based on your help and posts over there. Good luck.

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

We've got Mack_Guy to thank for opening this can of worms. Then I opened my mouth and stuck my foot in it. Just wait til I get my hands on him :mad: :mad: . No matter he lives over in Europe somewhere. I'll track him down. :mad: ...I've been needing a vacation anyways. :cautious:.

;).

Seriously though, 3 of my 4 computers are 64bit capable but I only run it on one simply because I can't see the difference in speed. And only one is used for anything really intensive, like video conversion. Besides, I've noticed that a 64 bit system uses almost double the ram of a 32 bit system and deep down that sort of erks me.

Later...

5. linuxforall

Tresspasser, I would agree on the RAM issue but thats the norm due to the very nature of x64 design. Thankfully RAM is cheap and abundant. :)

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

It may interest you that development has recently "slowly" restarted :) https://launchpad.net/wicd/ announcement/8934 - bug tracker marks a number of reported bugs committed.

Cheers, Nick

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

please not again 32 vs 64 bit we here to see a new distro which i personaly found pretty intersting because i have not much experience with e17 and its look pretty attractive for little kids with old pc :D or netbooks

yesterday i tried new another e17 base distro to see the difference there is huge diffrence i must say this distro people done lot of great work specialy in eyecandy or on looks :D

so you guys really deserve a beer :thumb:

but one thing like Trespasser say i agree with him

end of day it more important to us is stable distro rather than 64 bit 32 bit 2 craps

we all want stable secure longterm and eyecandy distro with no weird bugs :D

8. linuxforall

Stable, secure, eye candy distro=Ubuntu LTS :)

9. Thanks, this is awesome news. :D

10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i am just trying this.

i am really impressed with the GUI and eye candy.
    really the most visually pleasing distro i've seen so far.
    Windows 7 Aero looks like an ugly duckling by comparison.
    it runs light and fast from the Live CD.

i like the fact that it's not bloated with a bunch of apps i'll never use.
    very minimalistic, which is the way i roll! :)
    and it is very easy to install software from the Bodhi site.

i'm running this from the Live CD atm but i'll install it to the hard drive tomorrow.

here's a couple of good video reviews:

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zew22fRREQ0
    and
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmxSd_BQyLw&feature=related

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.