Boclean

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by maddawgz, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I wonder how good this new boclean is i found 4 trojans with AVG ? all the time boclean running o_O Might put my super antispyware pro back on instead

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

SuperAntispyware is far superior and with it's "resident guard" you're much better protected then BoClean which is experiencing difficulties ATM.

Just good sense recommendation. Also you've encouraged me just now to D/L and install AVG again. My HIPS + SAS pretty well keep a solid steel wall of protection but i always liked AVG's "guard" too. Since theres no hit on resources at all i don't mind combining them together with the others.

Keep Strong!! Stay Safe!!

3. maddawgz

Thanks Easter.yeah avg is great always kept me clean i do use the Suite though, found 4 today trojans sneaky things yeah i removed BC didnt do alot scanning now with SAS cheers MD

4. jtcst

jtcst Registered Member

Were you executing those trojans when AVG caught them? BoClean will only scan when files are executed and just as (or was it before?) they are loaded into memory. So if the trojan files were just hanging around on your desktop or whatever, maybe that's why BoClean didn't detect them. :D

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, if your AV/AS/AT/AM is finding active trojans in your system (and assuming that they aren't FPs), you should be worried about the safety of your computing practices.
    Just some food for thought.

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

as said everything nasty loaded in memory[active]are killed by Boclean,thats his function !

7. lucas1985

You didn't get my point :)
    BOClean shouldn't be killing active trojans if I practice safe hex/secure computing.

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

sorry your right,on the subject many different opinions,some don't care about bad stuff loaded on disk,at the moment these access memory they trust their Boclean and the like,others prohibit the install of badware in the first place,they rely on their av/as/firewalls,there is no definite all inclusive right concensus on these different ways off thinking about protection,this is an endless ongoing discussion ,for my a layered protection is at the moment the only plausible way.

9. lucas1985

I agree with you.
    But practicing safe hex keeps the possibility of encountering malware at a minimum, regardless of the security setup.

10. maddawgz

Actualy not it came down in a Winrar folder..AVG nabbed it i didnt execute it, so im lost here boclean will only get it if i excute it? but what about ones that go into temp per say avg finds?? and i dont excute it? I Have Prevx installed too now guess guess wont hurt to have boclean running..i have 2gig memory

avg suite
    prevx 2.0
    Boclean

11. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I wonder if AVG AV would have caught this by itself without the help of the AS Component. I know both are a part of the Guard in the Suite?

12. DavidGGG

DavidGGG Registered Member

Many ASes say they detect trojans, but that's the AVs job, a good AV detects maybe 99% of the trojans while an ASes anttrojan part has much less percentage as far as I've seen and is either a good complement to an AV or useless.

The main task of the AS is to detect the payload of the virus/trojan/worm, and it seems BOClean does that? This isn't possible before the trojan has started to reveal it's contents.

AVG's AS part I think turns into something useless after the trial (unless you pay for it of course).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: AVG AS will be turned into almost useless if it is not paid. I think you are right. AVG AS free is an on-demand scanner only. When a trojan commences to execute, w/o AVGAS's active guard's presence, that trojan is in no man's land, doing whatever it desires to do, unless something else can stop it. Perhaps BoClean can fill in for that role ?

14. DavidGGG

DavidGGG Registered Member

I'd better add this:
    I thought BOC was an AS because of how it's described at Comodo's site, and since it's got 290000 signatures and all, but it isn't. According to a moderators post in their own forum, it's supposed to be used alongside an AV + an AS:

http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_boc...ndefend_and_many_other_questions-t9049.0.html

Don't think I'll ever use it then, I'm the kinda guy who keeps 1AV+1AS+1FW (with rootkitdet & guard for reg & stuff) but not 3 of each + antitrojans and more HIPS and other extras, like some precautious chaps like to do.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.