Boclean or Ewido

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by sinbad370, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinbad370

sinbad370 Registered Member

I currently own both Boclean and Ewido. I like them both very much , but I want to only run one as my real time scanner. I am curious as to witch one has the best real time scanner and has the best signatures for catching the bad guys. I understand that total signature numbers don't necessarily mean that much. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I have been impressed with Ewido's detection in my personal testing; but that is hardly scientific; and although I haven't used BOClean, it has many followers here and elsewhere on the Net, and a very good rep. So I would have to say you can't go wrong with either. The edge probablly has to go to BOClean since it has been around longer. Ewido is, I think, the "new kid on the block". ;)

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

to be honest, Ewido is better on my machine...it has everything boclean has and a lot more ;) like an on demand scanner...

If I didn't received boclean, I'd still continue to use Ewido as on access.

Inf.

4. Infinity

they don't work nicely with eachother I see now...whenever I enable the on access monitor it spikes up to 50% to cpu and when I disable boclean, then it drops to 1% every two minutes...so either way I have to choose

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I am a licensed owner of both of these Anti-trojans and I highly recommend both of them, both for protection and for their support.

If you own both, I would suggest using the licenses for both of them. Therefore, run BOClean in real time and Ewido as a backup file scanner.

I have seen some reports on some of the forums where Ewido gave better detection than BOClean but the sample sizes involved were very small.

In addition, which one to run as your primary scanner may depend upon possible system conflicts. There have been reports of high resource usage of the Ewido Guard on some systems and conflicts between BOClean and Process Guard on other systems.

Since you bought both of these anti-trojans, deciding which one to run in real-time has proved difficult for you to decide upon. Again this will come down to personal choice and how well the particular AT guard suits your system.

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Infinity, have you tried to open/close the BOClean menu, mine drops from 23% to 2% after this it settles.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  7. Don Pelotas

I run with BOClean as real-time monitor & Ewido for on-demand, exept for "highrisk-situations" ;) when both are engaged, not needed though. :)

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I prefer the ewido because also have on-demand scanner. Besides that, they updates a lot of times per day, and I'm anxious for the next version... :D

But the BOClean is a very good AT.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Don, this must be when you are visiting the dark, 'Dark Side' :D

10. Don Pelotas

No comments. ;) ...... :D

11. Infinity

yes true, it settles then ... I don't like that to be honest...strange and it becomes more strange when I read some posts regarding pg and boc...

I'll wait and see, they are nice to eachother at the moment again...

Thanx guys, they are both great but like I said, I do like Ewido a lot better

Inf.

12. richrf

richrf Registered Member

This is an interesting thread, since I to own both. Right now I am running Ewido as on-demand and BOClean in real-time. I would say that the reason I have this configuration is that Kevin has been pretty active on some of these forums (here and DSLreports), and seems to be on top of things. However, this is quite unscientifc. For example, does anyone know which product better detects and deletes occurrences of CoolWebSearch? Are they equivalent?

Rich

13. Infinity

I own both two and I honestly believe Ewido is a better performer, detecting in zips and in rars so if you have a cws in such an archive Ewido will clean it too as to boclean will delete it in memory...while Ewido will do it too though and it will scan dll injections and stuff...I am too excited in their upcoming version...new gui and extra features...

like I said I have them both on access and will keep it that way :) if boclean doesn't begin to eat my cpu again and again...strange cause I see a lot of posts where ewido is eating the cpu :)

14. Don Pelotas

Are you beta-testing it, Infinity? And do you know if it's ready to be released "soon" (as in software-developer's kind of "soon" ;) ) or perhaps within the next couple of weeks (my kind of "soon" :D ). :)

15. Infinity

Honestly...I cannot say it cause I promised ... but they are very busy at the moment working on some stuff :)

Fish will inform us all when things are getting ready ;)

16. Don Pelotas

Ok, Infinity. Thought you were beta-tester, i'm also looking forward to the new version btw. :cool:

17. Infinity

yes me too.

take care

18. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Does anyone (who knows me) expect me to vote for anything but BoClean :rolleyes: :D You all who have used both got me, cause I have only used BoClean to protect me from the Trojans and other similar stuff. That said I am always opened to the new and the better, but it is tough to beat Kevins service. It is a little troubling to hear about the Process Guard issues. However I do not use that either. I have studied Ewido and it's followers are growing for sure. But unless something were to change I will likely stick with BO. just a personal preference I guess... always interested in new security... will keep watching and listening... ;)

19. sinbad370

sinbad370 Registered Member

I agree that Kevin gives a top notch service.He is very hands on. But what drew my attention to ewido,was the many positive threads that I have read on this forum. Additionally Firefighter (I don't have the thread) did an antivirus + Ewido combination test against some nastys. Combined they made a real impact on the resaults. What would be really cool is if he would repeat it, but this time use BOClean instead of Ewido.

20. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

sinbad370,

Kevin is definitely among the best in service.

As for testing BOClean, since the current version is a memory scanner only, the time committment to generate a test result similar to those obtained by FireFighter or others is a little beyond the reach of most. Scanning a large set of files is a lot faster than launching and executing the same set of files. In terms of work involved it would have to be orders of magnitude more investment. For that reason, I wouldn't expect to see a large scale test involving BOClean any time soon. That's really a pity too. Maybe when the next version hits the streets.

Like mercurie, I'm a BOClean fan. Part of that is due to performance, part is the licensing structure. If you have multiple machines at home that's one thing to consider. The BOClean EULA states
    This did make a difference in my decision to spring for BOClean.

If I were in your position, the deciding factor for me would be that if I went with Ewido for realtime coverage, I would basically eliminate BOClean since it's a resident scanner only. On the other hand, having BOClean resident still allows demand scanning by Ewido at any time. You currently own both, take advantage of both. If you find BOClean is letting trojans through, reassess the situation. I purposely specified trojans this since Ewido appears to have a wider malware footprint, however since trojan downloaders will place many of these items on your machine, BOClean will handle many if not all.

Regardless of your eventual decision, you'll have good coverage.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice