BOClean has been discontinued

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Rednose!, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Vale BOClean: :'(
    S'pose the writing was on the wall some time ago. :p
    Sad to see the end of BOClean.
    I hope the McAleavey's continue on in the web somewhere and we 'feel' and 'hear' their presence again in the future.
    They were serious contributors.
    Whatever I may think re Comodo and recent issues, I hope Comodo appreciates KMcA and he continues to be a standard setter.
  2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I found Prevx Edge, and I do believe it is quite a nice upgrade from BOClean. One door closes and another opens. Such is the way of life, eh? I was discouraged when I first learned of Comodo's plan to drop BOC as a standalone product, but I soon realized there wasn't anything we (as BOC advocates) could do about it... so screw it. Go find a better substitute. That has been my approach. BOC was removed from my computers two days ago. It's surprising how anti-climatic it was to pull it off. And I'll repeat, Prevx Edge, in my opinion, is a far better product. So my hat is off to Comodo for trying to ram something down everyone's throat. I just purchased two licenses for a competitor's product, thank you very much. :thumb:

All due respect to Kevin and Nancy! :)
  3. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

26 May 2009

An era has come to an end.
    BOClean as stand-alone product is discontinued.
    Users of BOClean got today the message as shown in the screenshot.

On a personal note:

Although I do thank Comodo that they came to the rescue for Kevin and Nancy, I definitely regret that this decision was made to discontinue BOClean as stand-alone product (just like I regret the decision, a few years ago, to discontinue IEClean/NSClean).

For you Kevin, and Nancy, once again:
    Thank You for your great friendship and super support !!! :thumb:
    Jan.

Attached Files:

4. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I see some members have their grievances about BOClean.

I saw it coming a mile away. I was even one of those here at Wilders to foresee BOClean's integration to CIS.

Anyways, IMHO it is a good move.
    Now what COMODO has to do is put "Proactive Security" as the default profile after installation, since this option gives less pop-ups that the current default profile.
  5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have a question. We all know the story of BoClean and Comodo. But does that stop the very talented developers of creating a new product.
  6. gery

gery Registered Member

good point trjam and i think they shoul start right away developing
  7. starflame

starflame Registered Member

Having used BoClean for almost 12 months I didn't find it very effective at detecting infections. Hopefully Comodo developers can work some magic on this in the future.
  8. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

PS:

For those who had Comodo BOClean installed and uninstalled it:
    The uninstallation might have left behind two files on your system:

c:\windows\unboc.exe

(if I remember me well, something similar happened with previous non-Comodo BOClean versions; no big issue)

c:\windows\cmdlic.dll

The properties tab of that file is telling you that it is the "License Module for COMODO BOClean".
    (See screenshot on a Dutch XP-home version of Windows).
    IMHO no need to keep that file.
    (Users of other COMODO programs might need it, but I don't have them so I cannot advise on that).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Let's consider this a memorial service and close the thread. :p
  10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

Agreed. Time for the thread to go the way of the standalone product...., thread closed.

Blue
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.