BOClean & DefenseWall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by vincenzo, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

My wife is doing online banking now so I want to beef up the security on her computer. Based on what I've read here, I am considering BOCLean and DefenseWall. Are they different enough in their protections to make this a good combination, or is there overlap in what they do?

Thanks

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

DefenseWall is a HIPS, Host Intrusion Prevention System, while BOClean is an antimalware.
    HIPS will protect you from known and unknown malware with no signatures needed. Both are very good.
    As for use it depends on experience, HIPS can be confusing although DefenseWall is pretty non intrusive for a HIPS.
    You can try out DW for 30days to see if it will suit you.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  3. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I run Boclean,once considered running DefenseWall,which i deem a very good program, i dont think there can be any conflict or overlap btw those,
    two different functions altogether and also an 'overlap' or a simultaneous decision by the two programs is IMHO ,remote.
    If you wanted two programs which pose no difficulty to even a beginner you chose right.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Remember to do the online baking/shopping with a new browser session (i.e. use the rollback feature of DefenseWall)

5. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

OK thanks for the information.

Also, I recently bought Norton Internet Security and Norton Confidential (they were on sale for free) that I had planned to use on her computer when she started banking. Does anyone know if BOClean or DefenseWall would have any conflicts with the Nortons? (Assuming I can get the Nortons to work without completely bogging down her computerr:cautious: ).

Thanks

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I've had Symantec and BOClean on one set-up
    and
    Symantec and DW on another

No problems with those two boxes but not all three at once: prolly be OK

Be prepared to cop a hiding here for installing (even free) NAV ;)

7. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

@ lucas1985

The online baking sounds cool, got any links lol.

@ vincenzo

BOClean is a first class product, i wouldn't be without it. I've tested it with numerous amounts of very nasty malware many times, and it never fails to impress me with it's detections and interceptions.

StevieO

8. lucas1985

A example: you surf to the "dark side" with browser set as untrusted. A keylogger/other malware is dropped in the container/sandbox. It can´t do any harm to your system but what happens if you browse to your bank´s website? The keylogger/malware hasn´t any restrictions inside the sandbox and might log your username/password.
    So, if you clean the sandbox (rollback button of DefenseWall) you delete all traces of that malware and you can go to the bank without worries.
    Perhaps Illya may explain this with better words/examples.

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

There is no need to clean up anything from your hard disk. Just terminate all untrusted processes- inactive malware is 100% harmless! There will be (in fact, already implemented) special "Go Banking" mode with DefenseWall v2.0.

10. lucas1985

Thanks Illya for the clarification ;). So, the idea is to terminate running malware (if it exists) before going to bank/shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.