BOClean 4.24 coming soon

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Longboard, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

EliteKiller, I've read Kevin's remark. That just scratches the surface and most everyone using BoClean has known the story, the FULL story for years. For legal reasons, nothing further can be said until PSC is dissolved.

richter, history is extremely important. Those who are ignorant of history are condemned to repeat it. My father was a history major in college so maybe I have an unfair advantage in understanding the importance of history. As for PSC, if you are unwilling to understand the history of the products and the history of the two people who were responsible for PSC and its products then there is no way you can make any VALID judgements about them or their products.

You did not see the inequities ...or least not most of them...perpetrated on dslr members and Kevin (and earlier Wayne and other small vendors) because we were muzzled. I take great risk in speaking out here even a little. I don't want to be forever banned from dslreports but I have been threatened many times by the mod of the security forum with this ultimate punishment if I continued to post positively about BoClean. I have the PMs to prove it. I am not alone. Many others have suffered. Most have just left dslr on their own...that should be obvious even to you...look at how bad the forum has become and it is only number 3 now in popularity and is down to a mere 700+ posting there from 1300+ a few years ago. You have no way of knowing how many times I have been put on Post Watch in the Security forum and how the length of the watch grew each time. I was muzzled. I could not post anything about BoClean during those ever more lengthy Post Watches. But you never knew about that. You never knew about all the posts of mine and others which were silently deleted with NO placemarker left to indicate there had ever been a post. You never knew about a MVM being stripped of their honor because they refused to stop posting positive things about BoClean. You never knew the extent of the gutting of many threads there that had to do with Boclean and ProcessGuard also. I was forbidden to ever post about ProcessGuard there some time ago because my posts were always positive. (This was long before Wayne disappeared).

I repeat that you and EliteKiller have no idea what you are talking about. Only those of us who have lived it for many years and know the history because we are part of it really understand. That does not mean that I think Kevin is a saint or something. It doesn't mean that I think BoClean is the greatest thing since chocolate. Nor does it mean that I think Kevin and Nancy had perfect marketing tactics. But when you start in, for instance, on complaining about BoClean never having a trial and say that is one reason it went under...I know it is hopeless to try and explain anything to you. I guess you never read the lengthy threads here, and a number of posts over the years at dslr, about why there was never a trial. Or maybe you read and didn't comprehend (like Dadkins at dslr).

I agree on one thing: it will be interesting to see if Kevin can write a fantastic BoClean 5 (provided that he and Melih can get along long enough for that to be able to happen which I seriously doubt especially now that the lead developer for Comodo has left for the reasons that I have talked about here in relation to Kevin). Maybe Kevin has great things in him and maybe he doesn't ...I don't know and will wait like everyone to see. What I do know a good amount about though is the history of BoClean and dslr's place in that history.

2. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Thank you Mele20 for writing down the gist of the matter in a very nice way.

3. richter

richter Registered Member

So how should those of us who used it when they released it as freeware see things? Not allowed to comment on product because we never used it before? It doesn't make sense. I don't need to know 10 years of history of a product to know it is good for me or not.

As consumer, disclosing this would only have negative impact on Comodo because perception of Comodo as a professional company will be undermined for badmouthing just a forum. I believe this is not how business should be done. Then again, I'm just commenting not telling anyone what to do.

Mele, I am history/geography major. I'm professor by profession, but I don't teach because I decided to study economics and work professionally. I know how history is important and how painful it is to be interpreted in a wrong way. We've Croatian history rewritten every time government changes. That is one reason that I decided not to teach. I've to change books on yearly basis. History is important, but there is a difference of history of product and history of nation. I don't need to know who/when/why Coca Cola was founded to buy their product. It is completely irrelevant to me. As is their "war" with Pepsi Co. I take only interest in it as marketeer, but as a consumer I couldn't care less.

I can make valid judgments of their products, can't I? Do I need to know how Eugene Kaspersky started and what his every day life looks like to test/use his products and to judge it and say it either works or it doesn't? You're confusing people and products here.

I did not, and I said that. I stand corrected that posts were deleted but I, and most people were unaware of it I presume. That still does not change the fact that nothing but the best was ever said about BOC everywhere. I am sorry members had problems. How forum is administered is completely irrelevant to me when I decide to use a product. Given that BOC is perceived nothing but the best, I see no problem.

I just closed a forum after 8 years due to constant quarrels about this and that (non-tech). I have taken a lot of punches from members. They were uncalled for, but when administrator moderates your thread as I had too many times or bans you, you will see nothing positive being said about you. This is personal, and those things should be left aside. We should not focus on personal relations but rather how well product performs.

I have no idea about the history of conflict, which I pointed out number of times, but does that mean I'm unable to draw conclusions from what I do read?

Mele, I don't have to be a rocket scientist to conclude that not having a trial hurt sales a lot. I know about legal protection, You talked about it all over when free version was released. It is irrelevant for end user. As I recall, one member said that legal protection was just one of reasons that could have had impact on that lawsuit, but it was never disclosed. What you're talking about are just speculations. In the end, it doesn't matter. There are numerous products that do the same thing and are not under protection and yet stay in business. Use some logic when trying to see things my way. Consumer doesn't care about those things. Consumer doesn't want to read explanation why something is. He/she knows one thing - every other company allows me to try their product, why can't they? Do I care if someone sues them? MS and many other get sued daily. Do you see me loose sleep over it? I don't. If it goes bankrupt, I'll move to something else.

And I'd be more than happy to read about it if you are willing to tell me more about it (in private).

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I've been following all the drama for awhile and this about sums it up. I'm not a BOClean user and I don't expect much from version 4.24. It has to be better than 4.23 and that is not BOCleans fault. From what I understand Kevins original coding of 4.22 and the combination of Comodos new shiny gui/coding were different programming languages resulting in some problems with version 4.23. That combined with people not understanding what the program does and how it functions, created some unhappy folks. I have no interest in this other than I think there is a brilliant mind in Kevin. If the "bad guys" want him, then he must know something than can benefit the rest of us.

4.24 may contain some surprises, who knows. I'm not writing it off just yet. If you have noticed, BOClean isn't the only program having problems getting it to co-operate with Vista. Kevin has had ideas for some time now and hopefully Comodo will give him the space he needs to make version 5. I also hope version 5 won't contain too much bloat from all the suggestions on their forums... I just want to at least see one version of what he (Kevin) envisioned.

Take care, innerpeace

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

and those who continually try to replay battles lost long ago condemn themselves to a replay of history as well.

The administration of other forums is determined by those other forums. That's not a topic germane to this site.

Blue

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

"Battles lost long ago"? If you are inferring that my and others "battle" with the moderator of the security forum at this other site has been lost, well, you don't understand anything I have posted or that others have dared to post. In fact, if anything, we are winning. Look at how low that forum has sunk. There is a specific reason for that. This is not "long ago". It is happening in the here and now. It is not ancient history but history in the making.

I understand, and already said that I did, that Wilders does not wish to get involved in the doings and pros and cons of moderation of forums at other sites. But I did not start the discussions here about BoClean and dslr. Nor did I start this ...that was Kevin some time back. I replied because not to do so was to leave a completely wrong impression standing as though it were the the truth. I appreciate that so far my posts have been allowed to remain. I would like to bow out of this but everytime I try, I get another PM or another post is made that cries out for reply. Kevin has told me that I have been right on about everything to do with the move to Comodo and the ensuing problems (which has sort of amazed him, I think).

Perhaps the genie should never have been let out of the jar here but that was allowed long ago and what could be expected but that these sorts of posts would eventually be posted?

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Perhaps not, but I will end the continued off-topic discussion.

Thread closed.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.