Bluhell FW 2.0 - new adblock/privacy extension

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mattdocs12345, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bluhell-firewall/?src=search

2. mlauzon

mlauzon Registered Member

It works well, there are a few things it screws up, but that's okay.

3. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

On paper it sounds efficient and should work quite well. In my own personal practice, it came up far short. It works about the same as ABP from what I can tell, which means requests are still being allowed, even if you don't see the ads on the screen. It also showed quite a large amount of ads even then. Easylist by itself isn't enough to begin with. Again, great idea but it just doesn't cut it in my experience.

4. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

My ABP is constantly complaining about all the request blocking making it tired. What's the problem with your ABP? Browser? OS?

Can you provide specifics for a case where you've confirmed (through observing network traffic) it isn't blocking a request that it should be (one for which a block rule with no exception currently exists)?

Based on a quick peek, I would say that BlueHell does have the ability to block requests. I don't feel like walking through the code to check the logic though. So for this, too, it would probably be better to talk specifics (after checking its built-in rules and network traffic).

5. tlu

tlu Guest

That's wrong. Most ads are not downloaded by ABP. Exceptions are ads embedded as text in websites - for those cases element hiding rules are used.

6. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Blocks lots more than ABP, stops redirects much better, but does alter some sites more than I'd like.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

How is this possible when those rules used by Bluehell are "auto-generated from Easylist"?

I had tried a previous version, and it blocked definitely less than ABP.

8. FreddyFreeloader

Try both on CNET.com, you can see the difference bigtime. Then log in and out of Hotmail - with AB/AB+ you will get redirected to MSN.com. with Bluhell, no redirect, just a not logged in screen. This using Firefox.

9. FreddyFreeloader

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bluhell-firewall/

Also, Bluhell has some sort of webfilter protection:

Code:
    resource://bluhellfirewall/blocked.xhtml?t=1cbd32fc-657c-43bb-aa17-0ff70c9734a6&h=ZHcuY2JzaS5jb20=&u=aHR0cDovL2R3LmNic2kuY29tL3JlZGlyP2VkSWQ9MyZwaWQ9MTM0ODY5NDUmbWZnSWQ9NjI3OTQ5MSZtZXJJZD02Mjc5NDkxJmx0eXBlPWRsX2VsaXRlX2dlbiZsb3A9bGlua3RpdGxlJm9JZD0zMTUwLTE4NTEwXzQtMCZvbnRJZD0xODUxMF80JnR0YWc9bHN0LTMmZGVzdFVybD1odHRwJTNBJTJGJTJGZG93bmxvYWQuY25ldC5jb20lMkZEZWZlbmRlci1Qcm8tQW50aXZpcnVzLWFuZC1PbmxpbmUtU2VjdXJpdHklMkYzMDAwLTIwMjNfNC03NjA0NzU2OS5odG1sJm9pZD0zMTUwLTE4NTEwXzQtMCZzaXRlSWQ9NCZwZ3VpZD1lOGU4MTJmMWY1Y2MxZDNmYTBiMzhjMTQ=

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.